Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Orson Bean was old when I was young. Definitely did not realize he was still alive until now.

9 Likes

Neither did I. Besides the game shows, every so often he’d pop up unexpectedly with a small part in some movie or TV show. (Watch for him in Anatomy of a Murder, for example.) A remarkable all-around talent.

4 Likes

RIP James West.

9 Likes

He also played for Workington AFC back when they could seriously be considered to be Carlisle United’s local rivals, and was part of the team that nearly got promoted to the Football League’s second tier in 1966 (Carlisle were promoted there the previous year). Sadly it never happened and the two teams would never play against each other in the league again.

6 Likes

I remember well Conrad’s character from WWW (sort a of a western version of Mission Impossible), along with his sidekick… character Artemus Gordon (the “geek”), played by Ross Martin. I got curious after seeing your post on Conrad, so I Wiki’ed Ross Martin: He spoke 6 other languages, had a law degree, and was a concert-trained violinist. He was only 61 when he died.

7 Likes

There are some threads:

3 Likes

I could have sworn that both he and Herman Wouk were immortal beings.

5 Likes
9 Likes
13 Likes
8 Likes

big mistako-reeno. deleted!

8 Likes

I really enjoyed HQ Trivia at first but quickly soured of the insufferable host, lack of opportunities to actually play, cheaters, and constant game breaking glitches. I gave up after a couple of weeks out of frustration.

(I also never understood why they couldn’t run automated games during off-hours just for fun for folks that wanted a competitive trivia fix. Seemed like a missed opportunity for easy advertising $$$ between rounds.)

4 Likes
13 Likes
9 Likes

I’ve never seen that, but I’ll have to tell my friend about that film (as she’s a chess coach).

It’s always incredibly sad when someone that young dies.

8 Likes

But wonderful that she got to tell her story and show her talent before the brain tumor took her.

8 Likes

He was also manager of Carlisle United, but that’s minor compared to what he did that night in Munich.

Edit:

8 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes