Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Definitely a product of its time but I always thought it was one of the top tier films in that “cross country vehicular shenanigans” genre that was so popular during that time period.

3 Likes
6 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

Security researcher Dan Kaminsky has died at the age of 42. He was the one who discovered the DNS cache poisoning vulnerability, as well as one of the early folks who sounded the alarm about the extent of the Sony/BMG CD rootkit fiasco.

11 Likes

This one is sitting pretty heavily with me today. I only dealt with him directly a few times but his legacy is mammoth. I’m also concerned because I can’t find any info on the succession plans for his piece of the dnssec recovery key.

8 Likes

Has link to playlist of Kaminsky’s DEFCON presentations (& other stuff).

[…]
When your humble Register hack asked him why he hadn’t gone to the dark side and used the
[DNS] flaw to become immensely wealthy – either by exploiting it to hijack millions of netizens’ web traffic, or by selling details of it to the highest bidders – he said not only would that have been morally wrong, he didn’t want his mom to have to visit him in prison.
[…]

9 Likes

That one shocks and hurts. He was such an impactful voice in security.

5 Likes
10 Likes
11 Likes
18 Likes

RIP and godspeed, Michael Collins.
I never forgot you. the most important member of the Apollo 11 mission, hands down.

14 Likes

Farewell, Michael Collins. What a shame. He was at Oshkosk in July 2019 and gave a three hour Q&A session, at 88 years old! Showed no sign of slowing down, but cancer is an unrelenting prick.

14 Likes
8 Likes

A follow up - Nick Cave’s reflections on Anita Lane.

10 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes
16 Likes
10 Likes

steel magnolias GIF

She was so great in Steel Magnolias… the whole cast is stellar.

14 Likes