Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

I wonder why ? If he was content to be in a Spanish prison, why not in an American one?

Because after here, if he ever served all his time, we were going to send him to Belize for those people he murdered. And I’d wager that wouldn’t have been a nice prison.

There’s no telling what he thought would happen to him here.

1 Like

If Belize wanted him why didn’t they get him when he was in Portland a couple years ago? There would have in any case been a long time in US prison before any extradition, and he was 75. Do they still have rich guy prison in the US? But as you say, other factors at play here

1 Like
7 Likes
7 Likes

This is devastating to me. Blackalicious literally changed my life, no exaggeration. Rest in power, Gift of Gab.

DOOM last year and now this. Both of my favorite rappers are dead. I’m so glad to have lived when they were active, at least. FFFFFFFFF

12 Likes

Oh, this hurts. :broken_heart:

7 Likes

It’s already been about 3 months, but I just found out (and about a minute or so before I read about Jon Hassell).

10 Likes

Malcolm Cecil was reported here at the time 

But today, Peter Zinovieff 

8 Likes

ETA: Twitter thread here

ETA again:

13 Likes

CW Warning: harrasment and suicide.

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1409176583433179137

And if you are wondering why he is in dead celebrity

ETA: Near asked that people didn’t use the name in the Ars Technica article anymore. I don’t care if they weren’t trans, dead naming is disrespectful so don’t do it.

12 Likes

I was just reading about this on Twitter from his friends and supporters. This whole thing is just horrible.

Thanks for the bit of extra context around what was happening. There were some things I wasn’t sure of.

5 Likes

I had never heard of that website mentioned in the statement before. Now I wish I hadn’t. (Not naming it here because I don’t want to showing on any search results.)

8 Likes

I have. They’re one of the reasons why I tend to keep my head down in real life, I already have PTSD from harassment and I don’t know if I could survive going through it again. I avoid them and TERs for my own safety.

If other readers could also avoid mentioning the harassment site responsible for Near’s death I would appreciate it. They don’t deserve any publicity.

14 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any redeeming quality to that site. Its intent seems worse than like bumfights. Delenda est, man. Needs to be deplatformed, yesterday.

3 Likes

I heard about this today when my partner woke up and all I heard was him shout “no” shortly after looking at his phone. Had no idea there was so much harassment and abuse going on behind the scenes. So extremely sad. What the fuck is wrong with people.

12 Likes
8 Likes

I’m a big Blackalicious fan and feel lucky to have seen them live. The Blazing Arrow album has been getting regular play on my stereo for almost 20 years.

Keep on, keep goin’, march on, move on
Keep blowin’ it up
Keep ON, keep goin’, march on, move on
Stay strong, keep goin’, keep blowin’ it up

(chorus of Black Diamonds and Pearls, from The Craft)

5 Likes

(D’oh! Didn’t show up for me when I tried a search
)

1 Like

Well, the name was ‘hidden’ in a link rather than in text, so you’d have had to scroll past it to see it.

You have to put the work in round here, to stay current.
:wink:

2 Likes