Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

6 Likes
9 Likes

Came to note the same.

6 Likes

Thought you might appreciate this, by Mary Gauthier on Fbook:

Nanci Griffith was a teacher to me, she showed me folk music, she educated me on what came before. She spoke my language, sang her way into my being. I loved her music and saw her perform many, many times.

I got to work with her a bit when I was getting started, and I got to know her some after I came to Nashville. She was always kind to me, generous. A profound influence on me, her spirit will always remain alive inside her music.

The first year I lived in Nashville, I was invited to a party at music photographer Jim McGuireā€™s house that became a song circle with Guy Clark, Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Joe Ely, Steve Earle and Nanci Griffith. It was a wonderful night, and I was on the edge of my seat, desperately wanting to go from being in the audience to swapping songs with that group of legends. I knew I was in deep waters, the new kid in town, but oh how I longed to sit in that circle. Iā€™d deeply admired everyone in it for years. As the music was winding down, Nanci looked over and asked, ā€œMary, would you play us a song?ā€ I knew her because Iā€™d opened a string of shows for her a month prior.

I was absolutely thrilled when she invited me to play. I sat in the chair she offered, took her guitar into my hands, and played ā€œOur Lady of the Shooting Stars.ā€ The other songwriters closed their eyes and nodded as I played, some smiled. No wild applause, no pyrotechnics when the song ended. But the smiles and nods made me feel like I belonged. I still had a long way to go, but joining that circle was validation that moving to Nashville had been a good decision. Holding my own in that circle of songwriters whose records I owned and whose careers I followed gave me confidence. Being around songwriters I deeply admired humanized them and made the star I was reaching for feel less distant.

When I was done, I handed Nanci her guitar back. She shook her head and said, ā€œKeep it.ā€ I froze, holding her engraved, signature sunburst Taylor 612 cutaway guitar in mid-air,question marks in both of my eyes. ā€œItā€™s yours,ā€ she said. ā€œWhen I moved to Nashville, Harlan Howard gave me his guitar. Iā€™m giving you mine.ā€ I was speechless but somehow found the courage to say,ā€œWill you sign it?ā€

She signed, ā€œFor Mary, because YOU WILL sing.ā€

I found out later itā€™s an old Nashville tradition to pass on a guitar. Itā€™s an attempt to stay on the good side of the muse and the mystery. Some songwriters believe it is one way to keep songs flowing. Harlan gave Nanci one of his guitars because he felt there were no more songs left in it for him but there might be some in there for her. Nanci had done the same for me. Welcome to Nashville, kid. Remember to stay on the good side of mystery and paradox; theyā€™re your wheelhouse, now.

RIP Nanci, and thank you. Your guitar is in my hands right now, I play it, remember your kindness, your music, and the influence you had in my life, and I cry.

Working in Corners (Nanci Griffith)

Itā€™s a southern road west of New Orleans
Iā€™m fightinā€™ off a cold
From these winter rounds
Houston, sheā€™s just around the corner
But I think Iā€™ll stop off here in Lafayette
Lord and have me another round

Iā€™ve been workinā€™ in corners all alone at night
Pullinā€™ down whiskey
Keepinā€™ my eyes away from the lights
Iā€™ll never be a fool but I will gamble foolishly
Iā€™ve never let go of love
Till I lost it in my dreams
I donā€™t want to go to sleep
'Cause I just might dream

Iā€™m stronger now, there was a man in my hometown
He sang so pretty
Iā€™m glad he turned my head around
But Iā€™d forgotten how to play a one night stand
Lord I didnā€™t have a word to say
Just holdinā€™ that strangerā€™s hand

Pullinā€™ down whiskey

These city streets at five in the morninā€™
I wouldā€™ve stopped to phone you
But Iā€™m almost home
At my back door
Thereā€™s a porch light thatā€™s shininā€™
I just donā€™t mind livinā€™ here by myself
If I leave it on

Pullinā€™ down whiskey
Donā€™t want to go to sleep
You know I sure can dream
And I sure can dream
Sure can dream

LISTEN HERE nanci griffith - workin' in corners - YouTube

14 Likes

Thatā€™s just lovelyā€¦ I love that song, too. One my favorites by her.

6 Likes

5 Likes
6 Likes
9 Likes

Meaningless to USians but he was well-loved here.

17 Likes
9 Likes

Thatā€™s another big shock, I had no idea he was ill. :frowning_face:

6 Likes

He was looking pretty rough on 8 out of 10 Cats back in 2019. There are several threads on Reddit back then asking what happened to his voice and his apparent weight loss.

Very sad news.

4 Likes

Same with the much missed Paul Ritter, they kept it quiet for obvious reasons but he didnā€™t look great on the final series of Friday Night Dinner.

1 Like

I hesitated to post this here, in case anyone who did not know him took umbrage. But it is hilarious.
Sean Lock almost destroys his career with one joke.

9 Likes

I know this news to going to overlap with the coronavirus thread(s) but it still has to go here

10 Likes
9 Likes
11 Likes
10 Likes
13 Likes

According to this obit, he was 84.

7 Likes