Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

I think the Noise11.com used Phil Everly’s birth date. Someone in their comments flagged it.

4 Likes
19 Likes
12 Likes

They’re playing his music here on WPFW tonite:

7 Likes

Sad to hear of the loss of a giant for good, James Loewen. His book Lies My Teacher Told Me and his work on sundown towns would each be an enormous legacy from one person.

12 Likes

Very sad. He will be missed.

Here’s my copy

9 Likes

I don’t know if these things were as prevalent elsewhere but in the UK there was a time when every hotel room had one.
Peter Corby, inventor of the Corby Trouser Press has died aged 97.

https://todayuknews.com/uk-news/trouser-press-inventor-peter-corby-dies-at-the-age-of-97-as-tributes-paid/

ETA the Today UK news link seems flaky - here’s The Mirror

8 Likes
12 Likes
7 Likes

(For a moment there I thought this had something to do with Trouser Press.)

3 Likes

This was in May:

Also from this spring; I could’ve sworn I’d heard him on Sirius since then:

8 Likes

I love that the newspaper includes a screenshot of Alan and his dismantled trouser press because he was bored and i can’t decide if that’s a respectful tribute or not.

4 Likes

A couple more pieces about Charlie Watts:

6 Likes
7 Likes

First vaguely well known person dead of vaccine afaik. There was a winnowing of beloved musicians in the last year and a half from Covid though. I know it’s incredibly rare but she’s not a stat to those who loved and knew her and it’s sad we had to vaccinate rather than contain this at source.

9 Likes

Roobarb was an exclusively UK experience for those who were kids at a certain point in time.

6 Likes

And then there was this remix on TOTP.

5 Likes

One of the absolute greats. A giant of music from a small island with a loud voice heard the world over.

22 Likes

A complicated man with a complicated legacy. He was a portrait painter but suffered from facial agnosia and painted the majority of his best-known work after a spinal aneurism left him with only limited control of one arm. I admired him as a symbol of what humans can accomplish through talent and persistence and was really depressed when it turned out he was a misogynist jerk.

I’m not one to spend a lot of time trying to separate the art from the artist - Woody Allen, Egon Schiele, Roman Polanski, soon maybe Bob Dylan - I put them away and I don’t miss them. I’m struggling with Chuck Close, though.

5 Likes
25 Likes