That’s the 4th actor from that show who “went beyond the rift”
Richard Biggs
Andreas Katsulas
Jeff Conaway (Bobby Wheeler!)
and now Jerry Doyle.

14 Likes

Also…
Michael O’Hare (Commander Sinclair)
TIm Choate (Zathras. Not to be confused with Zathras.)

As well as a clutch of smaller part /guest actors but those are the ones most people would remember.

9 Likes

Michael O’Hare’s dead!?!
[Checks Wikipedia, feels ferklempt]

So dear sweet universe, if you are paying attention in the vastness of interstellar space, take a moment from plotting the trajectory of comets and designing new DNA in farflung cosmos, and spare a thought for those who you have plucked so untimely from our ranks…and knock it off for a while. Because this isn’t fair.
-J. Michael Straczynski
http://www.epictimes.com/07/28/2016/j-michael-straczynskis-statement-death-jerry-doyle/

14 Likes

One for kids of the 80s.

Vivean Gray, Mrs Mangel in Neighbours, dies aged 92

EDIT

And Postman Pat!

5 Likes

Minor celebrity, but very sad for me. I used to listen to him on vinyl. Although I had thought he had been long gone.

6 Likes

Kenny Baker

:frowning:

6 Likes

Ohhhh-no. :cry:

3 Likes

Aw, man.

1 Like

Fucking hell :frowning:

7 Likes

Indeed. Saw that earlier. The reporting seems to be lacking a lot of detail.

3 Likes

From Rolling Stone: “Woolley died from neck-related injuries after falling off a ladder while retrieving music equipment in his studio.”

6 Likes

Marvin Kaplan died August 25, 2016.

A busy and recognizable character actor, he was one of the last surviving cast members of Stanley Kubrick’s comic-cameo cavalcade spectacle “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” (1963). While filming his scenes, Kaplan was pleased to share quarters with Jonathan Winters, who had one of the few air-conditioned trailers on the set, a blessing in the 107-degree California desert. He also experienced firsthand Winters’ brilliance at improvisation and mastery of madcap mimicry and mime.“We would play a game in the trailer called ‘Who are you today, Jonathan?’ He would go on for 45 minutes making up characters while we waited to shoot the next scene. I’ve worked with two comedy geniuses in my life and one was Jonathan Winters,” Kaplan said.

The other was Charlie Chaplin.In 1948, a youthful Marvin Kaplan was stage manager for a play called “Rain” at the Circle Theater in Los Angeles. Chaplin was the director. “He was so graceful and walked like a ballet dancer. One time he did a handstand on a table – he was around 60 at the time. And during the shows, he couldn’t sit in the audience and watch because he was too hyper. So he’d walk around the theater with a handkerchief in his mouth, but all the audience was watching him,” Kaplan said.He also recalls performing one Christmas in a play, “Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp,” with Chaplin in the audience. “I was in dark Egyptian makeup with my glasses removed. During the show I was supposed to hold up cards, but couldn’t see a thing, so they were all the wrong way. It was really messed up. Chaplin came backstage after the performance to see the cast and Sydney, his son who was in the show. We asked him how he liked it: ‘Sydney was good,’ he said. ‘The monkey was good, too. But that nearsighted Nubian slave really cracked me up.’ It was one the greatest compliments I ever got!”

Since the 1950s, Kaplan has appeared in numerous films and TV shows, and was a regular cast member on the ‘80s sitcom, “Alice.” With his distinctive Brooklyn-flavoured accent, he also worked as a voice actor, notably in the popular “Top Cat” cartoon from the early 1960s, providing the voice of Choo-Choo. “People tell me all the time they named their cat Choo-Choo after that character.”

Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast with Marvin Kaplan

12 Likes

Harry Fujiwara AKA Mr. Fuji

5-time tag-team champ with Toru Tanaka and legendary heel manager.

I’m throwing a little extra salt in the eyes of my chips tonight in his honour.

5 Likes

Ladders are a leading cause of men’s injury. Before you climb, think “do I REALLY need to be doing this? Can’t I get someone younger and more agile?”
http://nasda.org/9381/NASS/9636/NASDAVoice/28202.aspx

Ladder Injuries
According to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission, about 165,000 Americans require medical treatment for ladder-related injuries each year.
• More than 2.1 million people sought emergency treatment in the United States for ladder-related injuries.
• Of those injuries, almost 10 percent resulted in hospitalization or transfer to another hospital.
• The most frequently reported injuries were fractures.
• In cases in which the location where the injury took place was recorded, 97 percent happened at home.
• In nearly 77 percent of the cases, the injured party was male.

10 Likes

Celebrity isn’t the right word, but there isn’t a “Dead Engineer” thread.

Joe Sutter, “Father of the 747”

10 Likes

Jon Polito. A great and very funny character actor. He played characters I wouldn’t want to be around but there was always something about him I liked.

Sadly I didn’t even know his name or even think that much about him, except to say, “Hey, it’s that guy!” whenever he popped up on screen. I wish I’d been paying more attention.

Hail and farewell Jon Polito.

12 Likes

Hey, it’s the pawn shop owner from The Crow!

4 Likes

Richard Neville, founder of Oz Magazine.

3 Likes

Didn’t know he was diagnosed with dementia in his mid-60’s (according to Wikipedia).

1 Like

Mr. Polito’s best role:

RIP, sir.

7 Likes