Deal: Solé Bicycles

For under $300, I’d highly recommend a refurbished second-hand bike from a local bike store over something new. Guaranteed it would be better quality.

But I agree that, bang-for-buck, a road bike (whether single speed or not) will generally be better quality than a similarly-priced suspension bike. In my stupider college days I bought a cheap-o full-suspension bike, and as you can imagine it was a pile of junk.

1 Like

I’ll have to float the slightly used bike from local store. Thanks for rec.

I was thinking hybrid bike like this:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.3/11500/55833/

A full-suspension under $500 used, I’m sure we agree HUGE mistake.

I do wonder if most people know what kind of bike they need. Do you just want a commuter in a flat town? Will you be storing your bike inside? Can you oil your chain?

I will say disc brakes are not going away, neither are the hydraulic variety. Water/mud notwithstanding, I can barrel down trail hills with only one finger pulling the brake lever and still feel safe.

Hey, bicycle people…

I’ve been thinking of getting a bike for commuting (through Seattle) for a while now.

Being a complete tart, I’d like something I like the style of, which means something a little unusual. I am tempted by the Sandwich Bike, but that’s probably a little silly even for me.

However, I was thinking of a Vanmoof D (really, I just like the look of it). Any idea if it’s any good?

1 Like

Best advice I can give a fellow Seattle bike commuter is go have a conversation with the guys at Counterbalance Cycles. They’ll really listen to you and get you properly set up. (And stay away from Greggs, they will act in their best interests rather than yours.)

My Seattle commuter is a belt driven, internal gear, disc brake dream. Totally weatherproof and basically maintenance free. Most importantly it stops in the rain!

3 Likes

I’m also interested in converting one of my bikes to an e-bike or finding an old mo-ped.

1 Like

I’m sure the Vanmoof is a perfectly good commuter, but (I’m guessing) US$1000 is a bit much for a 13kg aluminum framed single speed, even one with disk brakes and integrated lights.

f you’re not married to the funky styling you probably could get 95% of the utility, versatility and fun of that thing by adding fat slicks (like these) and your choice of accessories to any 80s/90s cr-mo steel frame rigid mountain bike. You know, before they came up with suspension and really weird shapes. Funky fresh colors optional.

Bam, instant hybrid. This is a tried and true formula for a bombproof commuter, and probably five times less cash to worry about when you have to lock it up somewhere.

Or you can always ask around in the commuting section of BikeForums for tips from grizzled veterans.

Happy wheeling.

2 Likes

The OP bike looks like a good candidate to retrofit an electric motor and charging kit — maybe a good onen has been CC licensed and uploaded somewhere. Any hope to avoid “rushing in” by asking here may be for naught. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.