'Demonic activity was palpable' at Trump rally, says Florida pastor

I keep reading that word as “brownshits” and, well. Either way it fits.

13 Likes

You are completely wrong.

The MSM pays no attention to the evangelical left, and so most Americans ignore it. That’s why we conflate evangelicalism with greed and hypocrisy. But that intersection is much bigger than you would think, especially if you include people who are comfortable using words like “demonic” metaphorically.

Evangelical does not mean fundamentalist. There are plenty of Christians who are aware the worship of any flag is idolatry, and a patriotic rally like the ones held by popular vote loser Donald Trump has the potential to be truly evil.

24 Likes

The best place for the Devil to hide is in the church.

13 Likes

I always assumed the Devil would be well-spoken and charismatic. Trump just seems too obvious.

13 Likes

I see Trump people.

8 Likes

And yet somehow his Jesus-spidey sense wasn’t tingling before the election?

Does his magic power to sense the demonic only work sometimes?

I guarantee you those kids that took acid and went to the Trump rally last year definitely felt a demonic presence. Apparently religion is no more effective than taking psychedelics.

5 Likes

He says he didn’t vote for trump, so maybe his jesus-spidey sense was tingling about trump? On the other hand he seems to have been pretty all in with clinton-derangement-syndrome (in earlier posts). He mentioned, I think in another post, that he did not feel some kind of godly blessing when Obama or Clinton became president, implying that he did feel this at least when bush2 came in. It continues to astound me how few people re-evaluated their priors after the Bush2 presidency.

Reminds me of my religious right relatives, at least one of whom opposed trump. The one that did manage to see that Trump was incredibly awful enough to not vote for him still retained full frothing hatred for Clinton, most of them claim to have voted for neither (they are under immense social pressure not to have voted for clinton though, so who knows).

4 Likes

Hey, he forgot to mention all of the idol worship that goes on at those events

15 Likes

It’s because they don’t cause trouble. lol

7 Likes

I don’t think these people use ‘demonic’ etc metaphorically. They mean it literally. Living in a magical world.

I had a roommate in amway (or actually the offshoot, who’s name escapes me). Of course she was trying to recruit me (which was not going to happen), but I did go to one of their ‘retirement’ parties because, gosh, that sounded weird. It is the strangest event I have ever been to. It is also the only time I have experienced fanaticism from a large group of people first hand. It was somewhat scary, even though they had no reason to turn on me, and the fanaticism was focused only on emptying their own pocket books. It was built up over a couple of hours. Rituals. Call and response prayers. A parade of heroes. At the end the ‘retiree’ is driven away in a limo. A dozen or two people chased after it waving tiny american flags shouting ‘freedom’ with spittle flying from their mouths.

There was a subtle darkness to it. These people, all being duped. So thoroughly. So eagerly.

I think the pastor found that feeling at the Trump rally, worse because people are being made to hate rather than simply suckered. He called it demonic energy, fit it into his religious worldview. Its as good of a description as any.

21 Likes

I read this long post yesterday and thought it might be useful to share if you had a certain religious crowd on your Facebook feed that might respond to his wording and approach.

Here is the official video of the full event:

The reading of the Lord’s Prayer sounded basically like someone who doesn’t speak English so well or know the Lord’s Prayer from heart reading it for dramatic purposes. It didn’t particularly creep me out. The other blend of religious songs with his entrance personally grated but probably resonates with his followers.

I couldn’t find any footage of the demonstrators at the rally that he describes. Seemed like a really controlled media environment.

And here is your unicorn chaser

3 Likes

how many other priests, clerics, people with weird costumes because god had the opposite reaction?
also the irony for me is that England is church and state as one and the country is one of the most secular while the US is separation of church and state and has an over exuberance for this idea.

1 Like

Are they trying hard enough?

2 Likes

What would happen if someone put the ten commandments opposite it?

I know it isn’t gold or a calf, but it’s close enough for me.

I don’t care if this guy Tooley believes demons come in little tins of ham – more of this kind of Christian in the world, please! (Read his full account. Fascinating stuff.)

5 Likes

True. There are many evangelicals who believe in the bible but also understand that separation of church and state is good for everyone. Leftist christian’s do exist. They want strong environmental laws and know climate change is real. They’re for helping people out of poverty with government programs and private charity.

They don’t conflate christianity and capitalism like the conservative christian’s do. They’re out there in the crowds protesting against Trump too. We don’t hear about them much because they don’t make exciting news clips on Fox and Friends.

3 Likes

It’s worth remembering some of them are pro-LGBTQ too (not sure about numbers, sticking with what I know is safe). Most, if not all of them, won’t hassle anyone about it either.

10 Likes

Yep. Quite a few are LGBTQ themselves also.

4 Likes

I see comments being critical of the intellectual coherence of the religious impulse being inconsistently flagged in here.

What’s going on?

ETA: I probably shouldn’t assume it’s an organised effort whenever stuff like this happens.

Still. Curious.

2 Likes

As of now, this thread (or perhaps just the main article, but as it appears to be a Discourse-specific stat, I’m guessing thread) has been viewed around 1,400 times. Probably those “imaginary friend” comments annoyed enough of the faithful to cross the flag threshold. Would only take a few of 'em, right?

3 Likes