Design suggestion box

Is it just me, or has the tone been a little angry in here today?

You know what I would like? The option to mute individual users so I can’t see their comments.

Edit: and/or the option to hide a thread so it doesn’t keep popping up to the top and suggesting you read it.

1 Like

What/why/how?

I just re-read my reply and Jeff’s and can not tell what is offensive here? Feel free to PM me with any details if you don’t want it public.

As to ignoring stuff, you can mute topics.

We have talked about adding mute for categories and users, it gets complicated but we are thinking about it.

I didn’t mean this topic. Nah, nothing offended me, I just got fed up with one thread, but having looked at it a couple of times, it keeps suggesting I read it again.

I did not know I could mute topics, so thanks! Although it’s still there in the list.

Muting stuff should right away cause 2 things:

1. The topic should not show up in your Suggested Topics list
  2. The blue and grey circles should no longer show on it, it should not be in the unread tab anymore

If either of those things are not happening… then Huston we have a problem.

It’s like the Family Circus comic strip…it’s always there, in the lower right hand corner, just waiting to suck. But yet, I can’t look away. I hate it, but I’m strangely drawn to it.

Reminds me of this animated gif I saw today (in link form only to protect you)

Yeah, that’s happened. I was hoping it would vanish entirely though. :slight_smile:

@awesomerobot @beschizza

Noticing styling of tight lists leaves quite a lot to be desired. For example:

1. Capicola chicken beef ribs jerky jowl hamburger. Shankle kielbasa corned beef shoulder salami meatball leberkas meatloaf pork loin filet mignon rump strip steak short loin. Pastrami ham andouille, meatloaf sirloin cow frankfurter spare ribs chuck shank boudin beef. Ground round ham salami doner t-bone, pork belly pastrami chuck jowl tri-tip bresaola tail. Chicken beef ribs flank hamburger, t-bone strip steak jerky meatloaf. Biltong chicken venison meatball, andouille jowl short loin ham hock bacon salami ball tip ground round sirloin. Ham hock capicola strip steak, short loin pancetta sirloin pork chop filet mignon rump pork belly t-bone shank leberkas.
  2. Capicola chicken beef ribs jerky jowl hamburger. Shankle kielbasa corned beef shoulder salami meatball leberkas meatloaf pork loin filet mignon rump strip steak short loin. Pastrami ham andouille, meatloaf sirloin cow frankfurter spare ribs chuck shank boudin beef. Ground round ham salami doner t-bone, pork belly pastrami chuck jowl tri-tip bresaola tail. Chicken beef ribs flank hamburger, t-bone strip steak jerky meatloaf. Biltong chicken venison meatball, andouille jowl short loin ham hock bacon salami ball tip ground round sirloin. Ham hock capicola strip steak, short loin pancetta sirloin pork chop filet mignon rump pork belly t-bone shank leberkas.
  3. Capicola chicken beef ribs jerky jowl hamburger. Shankle kielbasa corned beef shoulder salami meatball leberkas meatloaf pork loin filet mignon rump strip steak short loin. Pastrami ham andouille, meatloaf sirloin cow frankfurter spare ribs chuck shank boudin beef. Ground round ham salami doner t-bone, pork belly pastrami chuck jowl tri-tip bresaola tail. Chicken beef ribs flank hamburger, t-bone strip steak jerky meatloaf. Biltong chicken venison meatball, andouille jowl short loin ham hock bacon salami ball tip ground round sirloin. Ham hock capicola strip steak, short loin pancetta sirloin pork chop filet mignon rump pork belly t-bone shank leberkas.

Needs more line hight and separation.

@daneel is referring to other BBS topics. I think I know which one. But please DO flag things that you feel are over the line in terms of personal attacks and general rudeness.

Guidelines: http://boingboing.net/community

In general I feel there is not enough flagging going on. Flags tell mods where to look and possibly intervene to keep things civil. Flag often!

Looks fine to me :wink: One warning: I feel very strongly we should avoid lists that are so widely spaced with CSS that they look like they have physical lines between each item. In other words:

1. This

2. Has an extra line

3. Between each item

versus

1. This
  2. Does not have any extra lines
  3. Between each item

In my experience using CSS to make super-spaced lists causes a lot of confusion with users entering posts who think those are real lines between the items.

1 Like

Expanding posts to read replies is great. But then seeing the same replies again in the main thread is really confusing. I just think people are double posting. How about a modification where if I expand a particular post to read its replies, these replies disappear from the main thread?

1 Like

Definitely on our list for consideration. One difficulty though, once these pre-read replies are collapsed downstream, you can’t reply to them, like them, or otherwise interact with them. You’d have to re-expand them to do that.

Why not make it so that you can interact with them in the “replies to” view, thus making threading actually work for those who want it.

1 Like

That would be about 6 months of work, to get generic embedding working with full controls.

Just trying to come up with ideas dude. Clearly, there is a want within the community for better threading support in some way…

1 Like

a way to mute/unwatch tread without having to load and scroll to the very end , an issue on tread with many replies.

probably not worth it, BB with ditch this forum for something else before then.

This is definitely on our list; we need a way to perform multiple actions (of any type: delete, recategorize, change status) on multiple topics at once.

Some of these complaints exist because the UI offers conveniences that suggest threading that is not actually present. An effective solution would just be remove it and impose a completely simple, flat view. I guess in that case, what would the “replies” buttons do? It could filter out all non-replies, perhaps, instead of duplicating the replies into a pseudo-threaded thing. Or it could just be a hint of what’s below, e.g. “This post has 10 replies”

Filtering is possible. We have very robust topic filtering support already, some existing filters:

• filter by specific users (expand the topic map at the top of this post then start clicking avatars)

• filter by “best of”, available only on longer topics

It would be rather a lot of work (for the user, not for us) if a filter was engaged every time you clicked on “10 replies”, since you’d then be in a filtered view of the topic, and you’d have to click again to disable the filter to get back to where you were. This would not solve the problem of “I see stuff I have already read” either.

There is a hellacious amount of clicking involved in any threading model (expand, collapse, etc) so maybe the clicking wouldn’t be objectionable, not sure.

We’re going to try to get to the improved “in reply to” expansions this week, so clicking on “in reply to” at the top of a post will show you the entire chain of replies in a flat manner.

no, don’t do what he’s asking. your difficulties list is relevant. if a user cannot recall that he expanded a response from upthread and instead thinks it’s a double-post, the problem is with the user, not Discourse.

now that I’m up to speed on the thread, I wanted to suggest that the favicon for BBS be changed from the current one that is for BB proper. my current work-around is this

but I’d rather it be this

thanks

I will certainly create a better favi

3 Likes