Design suggestion box

The only thing I’m unsure about is whether the topic needs to be in the black bar at all. It could just as well be in the post and scroll – seems simpler and more intuitive than contents of the nav bar scrolling in and out of visibility. Though then I guess there needs to be a general “jump to top” control somewhere else.

Yes! Being able to access the complementary bbs thread from the blog in a single click is a lovely thing. Happy you took care of that so quickly.

1 Like

Works shit on android.

Which Android? There are thousands! It’s decent on my Nexus 7.

Small screen layout (5" and below) has not yet been optimized, however.

Maybe you could implement autocorrection of “legos” to “lego”.

1 Like

It’s Legoes.

2 Likes

LEGO® Bricks

shudder!

1 Like
  1. i get that you would want to strip out multiple spaces, but could you at least give us two? two is standard style for between full sentences and part of the visual cue that a new sentence is starting rather than the one space that a comma gets. i know it’s a small point, but it irks me so. it really is helpful in parsing text quickly. (i suppose this assumes anyone but me will actually use two, but i can’t be the only one that had the habit drilled into me in school, right?)

2. one thing that I actually liked about disqus was that images and video embeds in the comments were thumbnailed until the user clicked on them. the image could usually be grocked from the thumb alone. also, you could skim and skip an uninteresting or irrelevant comment at a glance rather than having one’s screen real estate dominated by it’s pics and having to scroll a bunch. I’m sure it would be a godsend to mobile users.

thanks.

thanks for this, but i notice that not every main-page post has a speech bubble yet.

Question: How do I reply to the topic (not the first post) without scrolling to the bottom? I thought someone has said that you can, but I would appreciate if someone told me quite clearly where to click.

Suggestions:

• option to stop auto-formatting text
  • option to stop auto-emoticons (or close that pop-up box?)
  • a place where I can see all the topics that I have commented on … right now the replies tab show all my comments, but there is no way to view them grouped by topic
  • I agree with @noahdjango that I would like to be able to put two spaces between sentences

That implies replying without reading the thread.

Yeah, it’s very hard to read as it is.

Two spaced sentences simply do not exist in HTML. The very markup that you consume the web in does not concede their existence.

Can someone tell me Discourse is supposed to keep double spaces between sentences when even if it did they would disappear?

Actually looking at the actual source in the preview. Discourse DOES preserve double-spaces. They are naturally killed by HTML not Discourse.

Not necessarily … you could have read the topic before or wish to compose while reading. I saw it mentioned before (Introducing BBS, our new forums - #247 by codinghorror) and (Introducing BBS, our new forums - #303 by codinghorror).

True. The imported bit from BB at the top is actually a post, so you can reply to that, although it will say “In Reply To”.

1. you
  2. were
  3. saying?

that’s doublespaces after the numbers, guy. MT and Disqus didn’t strip out multiple spaces, nor does any other blog comments I’ve used, nor message boards. how is this insurmountable on Discourse?

A simple workaround is to just quote some text and start a quote reply. You can then kill the quote if you don’t want it.

Longer term we would like keyboard shortcuts for these kind of things, its kind of risky to reply without reading, but I totally get that power user may have legit cases.

We do support <pre> tags and pre-formatted areas if you need eg:

here 
  is 
   pre-formatted
     text

Use the code sample button after highlighting text

Though I strongly suspect you are talking about something slightly different, what formatting are you trying to stop.

Closing the pop up is easy, just hit Esc, we are probably open to adding a user pref to disable emoji auto-complete, if you totally hate it but would try to first catch all the common cases where is shows up unintended. When have you seen it unintended?

There is actually a trick here:

Can somebody explain to me this double spacing issue…

Visually?

Its not insurmountable, we are using markdown with a few slight modification:

Markdown has its quirks, its not perfect, but it is by far my personal favorite way of composing text. We are open to improving stuff, I just am having real trouble understanding what the problem is.

1 Like

Help me Antonious you are my only hope, what exactly is hard to read, @beschizza can use CSS to adjust spacing between paragraphs if you feel they are too tight at the moment?

We actually thumbnail images if they do not fit. Completely agree that when we have a mobile interface all the YouTube fun needs to be opt in.

Having an option to do so on the Desktop seems a bit overkill though.

And that’s not a sentence. That’s an ordered list. Where leading whitespace is naturally trimmed out so that when you author a list you don’t have to restrict yourself to indenting the content by one space.

1 Like