Disneyland: the most infectious place on Earth

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/11/the-magic-disease-vector-of-di.html

This was how it began.

Within weeks, the so-called “Mouse Virus” had spread throughout the nation…

9 Likes

Keep going… Not necessarily here, but give us a heads up on the release date.

(Not being snarky. There is horror novel potential, here).

2 Likes

They shouldn’t have left the Virologist’s Apprentice alone in the lab.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s Las Vegas.

2 Likes

No, for real! IRL, recent outbreaks have been reported in buroughs of NYC, and also Lisbon, Westchester, Majorca…

Disney may not be the source, but it makes for a great hub.

Pretty soon there will be erect-walking, talking dogs and mice everywhere.

4 Likes

Pedantic note regarding some of the jokes above:
This particular disease is spread through bacteria inhaled via small water droplets, is not a viral, and is not spread directly person-to-person.

6 Likes

True, but in zombie stories it’s always a virus.

2 Likes

I think Legionnaire’s occurs in places like this when the maintenance schedule for a given piece of machinery just isn’t keeping up with rising heat/moisture levels.

Don’t forget that Disneyland is a popular place for anti-vaxxers to take their kids to also

3 Likes

If they’ve shut down the cooling towers, is there any danger of a Disney meltdown?

4 Likes
1 Like

There’s a risk Walt may thaw out for sure.

5 Likes

I’d like to snark about “karma” or whatever, but their kids are the ones getting infected because of their stupidity, because life is unfair and hell is other people.

2 Likes

Yep. I googled “creationist theme park” and “legionella”. Nothing. Or maybe nothing that shows up above the general background of “God’s Will” in those places.

I’m literally at Disney World as I type this. Here’s hoping they inspect all their properties!

3 Likes

Right. Air conditioning units are a common form of incubation and transmission. That was actually the culprit when they discovered the disease itself.

1 Like

Well, what do you know. With a name like Legionnaire’s, I assumed it was older in origin than air conditioning technology, but no, it’s named after the time in 1976 when a contaminated AC system fucked up an American Legion convention. 1976 Philadelphia Legionnaires' disease outbreak - Wikipedia

1 Like

Yep, Legionniaire’s has been known about for 40 years and with reasonable maintenance practices is easily avoided. What the hell are Disney or their maintenance company doing?

1 Like

Are they sure it wasn’t Imagineers Disease?

4 Likes