Do you think that we're living in a simulation?

Once, on a road trip, I was tripping so hard on some really good LSD that the windshield looked like a television screen, with the world being a TV show. That’s as close as I come to saying that we live in a simulation - it’s a cheesy reality TV show instead.

8 Likes

Sheesh, some of us are fine, productive people! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Bad … and definitely getting more ‘glitchy’ as time goes by.

2 Likes

I like to say that this realm is a combination of:

• School
• Adventure-tourism
• Art project
• Definitely a reality TV show on “interdimensional cable” :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Simulation seems pretentious. We’re probably someone’s screen saver.

13 Likes
2 Likes

The simulation hypothesis got started to explain quantum entanglement. Maybe not evidence but definitely something measurable, reproducible and observable.

1 Like

Jeez, so when do they get to do any work? :wink:

But if we are (in) a simulation (stupid question, anyway) then probably we ARE their work!

4 Likes

Or they’re bored.

8 Likes

Just another thought – isn’t another way of asking “is the universe simulated” the following:

What is the fundamental nature of reality – matter, or information?

What I (and many) believe is that physics has really gotten us very far into the territory of understanding “things” as the manifestations of what is, fundamentally, a multiverse built on information, and processes that are more aptly described by information theory. Entropy and organization, the fundamentals of everything, the eternal nondualism.

3 Likes

The Computer is your Friend. Any suggestion to the contrary is treason.

Citizen, no matter how high your security clearance, Happiness is Mandatory! Insufficient happiness will be punished by termination!

Bribery is treason. Bribery in insufficient amounts will be reported as treason.

7 Likes

“My brain hurts!!” `-- obligatory Monty Python reference

2 Likes

What if we’re both – the programmers, and then we get to dive into the project we’ve compiled, and run it from the inside?

Well if XKCD were on to something, maybe … it’s simulations all the way down

1 Like

I refer you to the post immediately above yours.

1 Like

The algorithms within my reality checking sub-routines say that we are not living in a simulation.

THANK YOU for posting this, oh my god, I had never seen this XKCD before!!! :exploding_head:

This summarizes the essence of the core mystic philosophy, from the perspective of the fundamental consciousness of the multiverse. Nifty. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation_City

2 Likes

All have read Sam Hughes’ lovely short story, right?

(It’s quick; most of the page is ancient comments.)

I think there’s a fine case to be made for reality being fundamentally unknowable through the limitations of the human senses, but that’s nothing new.

6 Likes

That might be because we can’t see the whole picture.

3 Likes