DoD wants $660M to respond to Freedom of Information request on "Hotplugs"

If the jackboot fits…

1 Like

If your OPSEC is that good, you’re probably too smart to be committing computer crimes.

1 Like

It would be interesting to know, when approaching this problem, how much you gain by weak, but novel and non-obvious, anti-tamper mechanisms vs. tougher systems that are more likely to clue the attacker in to the fact that this is a special case they are dealing with.

For something produced on a commercial scale, the element of surprise is obviously shot; but for your once-off hack that watches the HDD fall protection accelerometer for abnormal movement and triggers a shutdown the adversary might walk right into it, at least the first time.

I wonder if it depends on how high profile the matter is: presumably Officer Donut vs. Suspected Pothead just doesn’t get the good forensics guys, so they are likely to repeat mistakes. A higher profile matter might get a lot more care applied, making comparatively weak measures that rely on surprise more of a problem.

1 Like

Ah, sweet transparency in government!

• I found some footage of their document management system:

5 Likes

Nah, I supply a lot of non-profits with computers, the fedguv doesn’t care.

The lab’s system got totally owned by somebody that some three-letter agency was interested in, so they came and took the server away, and then “unhappened” the incident (“Hello, FBI, when are you going to finish with our server and give it back?” “Sorry, we never heard of your server, nor did we ever visit your facility. Those must have been fake FBI credentials.”).

So I got them a new server with a more up-to-date OS and helped them restore their data to it, without restoring the compromised OS and filesystems. I figure the lab got off rather lightly, since nobody was arrested or imprisoned.

3 Likes

They certainly aren’t #1 on the list of audition participants; but the concept of ‘Force Protection’ does afford them a fair amount of flexibility in situations with at least a vague connection to potential risk to DoD assets, personnel, families of, etc.

1 Like

A night of thought leads me to think a reed switch in the case and a magnet in the desk could be sufficient to cut power, and supremely non-obvious. Just don’t bump the desk during intense gaming sessions.

2 Likes

PoE maxes out at 25.5 watts. That’s not even enough to keep a Macbook Air charged.

1 Like

why isn’t this a Supreme Court precedent yet

1 Like

It’s actually a Shakespearean tragedy and/or a god-awful straight-to-DVD comedy wherein the munchies bring them together; but the law threatens to tear them apart… Will they learn to embrace their common ground; or is someone going away on possession with intent charges?

3 Likes

3 Likes

Haven’t we moved on to means of incentivizing your Irish Indentured Servants?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.