Does "Feminism" Mean Anything, Anymore?

I gave up on this thread being at all productive early on when it became apparent that argument became about points of agreement, which is why I wish people had not gotten stressed about it the way they have-- for the sake of their own blood pressure, not me. If people became aggravated because of something that I said that we disagreed on, that might be one thing, but I don’t think we got that far. I regret clumsily communicating a point to the point of inflammation.

I realize you’re speaking generally, but for my part I get aggravated mostly with people dancing around a point and passive-aggressive argument (AKA driving trollies.) I try to stay tactful everywhere else even when disagreeing and regret instances in the past where I’ve not hewed to that standard.

As I said, I did not come looking for controversy, but the thread has outlived its usefulness-if it had any to begin with.

@Falcor, would you care to do the honors?

1 Like

I’ve been listening to this course on communication http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/effective-communication-skills.html (it’s expensive right now but their stuff goes on sale frequently). In it he talks about patterns of communication and how we can help to change this pattern of “I’m right, you’re wrong, let me tell you how” that I know I engage in all the time. And I am really working hard to try to use his ideas in my conversations, not just personally but online. I see that what I am doing by constantly restating my position is not working, and everyone seems to be just getting entrenched in their own little space, rather than listening to each other.

It is really hard - I was raised by teachers so I tend to lecture, and worse I tend to go into Socratic method which confuses the heck out of everyone. I was a Philosophy major, so I studied logic. It is tough to realize that I have been doing it wrong all these years, and that I need to start shifting how I speak.

11 Likes

They are still going- and today on the front page is an article recommending the film “Get Out” .

“white women watching the movie, especially those who prefer to imagine themselves somehow apart from white supremacy, are in for a uniquely excruciating experience.”

Edit: extra letters

7 Likes

Does it matter? What are your goals?

Does it matter? Has this made your goals easier or harder to achieve?
It doesn’t matter either, you go ahead and you try to reach those goals anyway.

For some, feminism deals with life and death issues, for others, its a game of (relative) inches. Guess where affluent white people come in on the spectrum?

7 Likes

Closed at OP’s request.

5 Likes