Dollar-a-dose, off-patent drug being marketed in the US for $89,000 as a muscular dystrophy treatment

Apparently said wall is nowhere near mexico.

2 Likes

Yeah, but where do you get them and make sure its real?

I mean I see ads for drugs from Canada but I’m like - how do I know it’s the real deal? I wouldn’t dare try it with pain killers anyway, but something like this maybe.

1 Like

About the real cost, how about (and this is just a thought): the insurance doesn’t actually pay anything, but you still have an ‘extra $50 (or whatever) to pay after insurance’.
It’s still many times the cost of the drug and the insurance gets to say they’re really doing their best for their clients.

1 Like

Maybe get a compounding pharmacy on board, and get them to order the chemical from within your country: https://www.scbt.com/scbt/product/deflazacort-14484-47-0.

I’m not certain about how the hideous cat’s cradle of medical insurance and big pharma work over there in the US, but, maybe this price is just the company covering itself against insurance claims for providing an unlicensed drug?

1 Like

Those mother@#$%^&*! They are killing people and this has to stop. We can not allow these monster do this the medical system.

4 Likes

The wall we should be concerned about is the wall in some people’s brains between reality and their decision making process

3 Likes

That works out to about 62 times a minute, or faster than once per second. I can’t even swallow that fast once, let alone all day.

2 Likes

Evil doesn’t exist you conspiracy nut. Only the market.

3 Likes

That wall is made of money.

2 Likes

I’m not at all sure about that: Deflazacort is a standard Duchenne treatment up here (Canada), has been for a while, and there is ample data on what it does. Your medical institutions are well aware of all this, judging by the articles in the NIH’s library, e.g., (McAdam et al, 2012):

The literature goes back at least 15 years (Biggar et al, 2001):

(Cory’s article states that clinical studies go back at least 20 years.) The question becomes less why Marathon sees fit to crank up the price when granted a monopoly (douchebags have become the norm in big business), but why the FDA is only getting around to approving it now, and in such limited fashion. It smells remarkably corrupt, very much like regulatory capture.

6 Likes

But that Radical GWB made it illegal for Medicare to negotiate.

2 Likes

Wait… what? Back up… you see ads for drugs from Canada?
Are these like… personal ads or highway signs or like legit commercials or ads?

Cuz all I ever see are the weird ass brand-name drug ads from the USA and they are so weird!

1 Like

[quote=“Trenien, post:23, topic:94865, full:true”]
About the real cost, how about (and this is just a thought): the insurance doesn’t actually pay anything, but you still have an ‘extra $50 (or whatever) to pay after insurance’.
It’s still many times the cost of the drug and the insurance gets to say they’re really doing their best for their clients.
[/quote]That’s not how it works, because the local pharmacy pays $$$ to the distribution centers for the pill supply. What happens is more like the pharmacy pays $X to the distributors, who pay $Y to the pharmaceutical companies. What is likely to happen is that the insurance company pays money to the local pharmacy so they make their profit, but then the pharmaceutical company gives $Z back to the insurance company as a kickback.

As long as $Y minus $Z is above the profit margin they’ll accept, they’ll keep doing it - and laugh their way to the bank every time some poor schmuck without insurance coverage needs that medicine to live. Oh, and whenever medicare/medicaid pay for it, since they won’t have to give kickbacks to the government.

Also, your insurance company loves it, because you hear how you’re saving $hundreds each month, so it’s totally worth paying $hundreds for insurance. What you don’t realize is that with all those kickbacks and discounts the insurance company is still making plenty of money off you - far more than you realize. If they weren’t, they’d come up with some reason to deny you coverage, or discontinue coverage on that particular drug, or something.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.