"Don't feed the trolls" they keep saying. and it keeps not working

Continuing the discussion from New Hugo Award categories for puppies:

Jeff, I’m not sure that data generalizes. I’m certainly not familiar with the entire Stack universe, but it’s my impression that it’s predominantly recognized for distilling discrete answers to technical questions.

I’d submit that it’s possible that a community such as bb, centered around art, expression, freedom, and creativity, may often defer to prioritize unique or novel voices over one “right” answer. Translated to my individual participation, I don’t want to be too quick to judge whether someone is being an utter asshole being unworthy of hanging around. Also, I recognize that there’re many other members of this community who are far more knowledgeable and articulate about calling out bullshit in their particular domains or on certain topics than I.

So when someone like @chenille takes the time to compose such thoughtful and well-said posts such as this and this, it’s not only for the benefit of the newbie/trolley. I learn a lot about whenever some wise person take trollies to task, and I think that makes us all better trolley-hunters.

5 Likes