Don't fly while brown during Ramadan, even if you're Hindu

Maybe not the best choice of words in the context

If you look at the sun long enough you won’t see anything at all. That doesn’t mean it’s not still shining.

2 Likes

Yes, but the heading of the article claims that there’s a connection between the treatment he got and the fact that he’s “brown and Hindu”. Actually it looks like they followed the protocol in this case (if we ignore the part where they went to his home, took down the picture, etc., which sounds like BS). He opted out of the high-tech screening, but the bomb swabbing tested positive, so they tried to figure out why, asked what he was doing, etc. Doesn’t seem any different than standard operating procedure. Actually the fact that Boing Boing is crying “racism” here says more about the worldview of BB than the facts in the case.

You’d have to be pretty naive to assume otherwise. How often do you suppose white Christians get grilled on the specifics of their religious beliefs? Do you think the FBI would be likely to call in a special interrogator to ask questions in Italian if they found out a passenger was Catholic?

All depends. I’ve worked for federal agencies before and they are PC to the max. On one occasion I recall, one of my subordinates had clearly faked his salary sheets, but when I reported this to my superiors, they told me we were not allowed to fire him because he was black and would pull the race card. Instead I was told to submit the salary papers for “review”, a process that would take years, in effect firing him without firing him. This is a familiar dynamic to people who have worked in federal agencies: they’re afraid to call out clear misbehavior for fear of being labeled a “racist”.

You can see a similar dynamic if you look into the history of the Fort Hood shooter. He made numerous statements indicating that he sympathized with radical Islam and was a definite threat to the country, but the military authorities were afraid to investigate this due to fears of infringing on his civil rights.

Similarly, the Russian authorities warned the FBI about one of the Boston bombers being linked to radical mosques in the Caucasus region, and the FBI was not allowed to investigate this due to Obama’s declaration that there is no link between terrorism and radical Islam (never mind that there is a clear and definite link).

Actually it would be smart for the US to use profiling, that’s what Israel does and it has kept their country safe without the sorts of police state apparatus we’re subject to, but under federal law profiling is illegal.

1 Like

OK, two quick thoughts:

1. Yeah, Israel. That’s a shining example of a safe, free, secular, equitable society that never has problems with terrorism right there. Whenever I try to think of countries that never have to worry about terrorist attacks and guarantee the same civil liberties for all citizens without having to resort to things like police checkpoints then “Israel” is right there at the top of the list.
  2. You could have skipped right to the “let’s institute racial profiling” bit and we could have known to ignore everything else you had to say right off the bat.
5 Likes

Oh, the TSA is just annoyed by happy train lovers like me who have added “TSA Free” to the list of awesome things about taking the train instead of planes.

1. Israel still faces the terrorist threat, but has done remarkably well at defending itself. And despite all the criticisms of it, it has far and away the best human rights record in the Middle East, by a long shot.

2. I never recommended using racial profiling. But in fact we’re at the opposite extreme, where law enforcement agencies have to ignore clear evidence of threats to the country’s security, in order to not appear to be “racist”. The above article is a good example of this; there’s 0 evidence of racist treatment in this case (if there were, he’d been filing a federal lawsuit), but people are insisting it’s racist because of the guy’s race. That says more about the author’s worldview than about the facts of the case at hand.

1 Like

Your exact words were

Actually it would be smart for the US to use profiling, that’s what
Israel does…

Israel-style profiling would discriminate based on perceived nationality, ethnicity or religion. All of which are forbidden in this country for good reason.

The above article is a good example of this; there’s 0 evidence of
racist treatment in this case (if there were, he’d been filing a
federal lawsuit), but people are insisting it’s racist because of the
guy’s race.

Absence of a lawsuit is not evidence of absence of racism, especially when the TSA has such broad authority that they’re almost impossible to sue.

You very carefully avoided answering my earlier questions about how likely some aspects of his treatment would have been for a white Christian guy (i.e. asking how observant he was of his religion, assuming English wasn’t his native language because of his ethnic background, etc). No reasonable person could hear…

“You’ll have to understand, when a person of your… background walks
into here, travelling alone, and sets off our alarms, people start to
get a bit nervous.”

…without concluding his appearance or religion played some part in his treatment. The only way to dismiss the profiling claims would be to assume the author made up key parts of the story.

4 Likes

Clearly you have a different definition of terrorism and human rights than I do. Israel kills more Palestinians than Palestine kills Israelis and Palestine has never (to my knowledge at any rate) cut off food and humanitarian supplies to Israel.

Sure, Israel doesn’t want its people killed and they have a reasonable right to try to avoid that happening. But not by slaughtering other people, blockading food and humanitarian aid, or illegally occupying Palestinian territory.

1 Like

I was thinking in terms of women’s rights, gay rights, etc. Also if you want to take about racism, you won’t find more racist countries than the ones surrounding Israel, countries where slavery is still practiced, countries where a man can rape his wife legally because she is considered his property, etc. Likewise, Hamas purposefully targets civilians and receives little criticism for this, while Israel goes out of its way to avoid civilian casualties, yet gets all the blame. If the Palestinian Authority went to the same lengths to avoid civilian casualties as does the Israeli Army, it would get the Nobel Peace Prize.

1 Like

I said “profiling”, not “racial profiling”. If someone says they think it’s their religious duty to murder Americans, it’s reasonable to think that they’re a threat to American citizens. The current absurd rules don’t allow this sort of rational and non-discriminatory profiling. Boston and Fort Hood could have been prevented if we allowed this sort of “profiling”.

About the “white Christian guy”, you’d need to give more information. A dreadlocked rastafarian (Christian) who happens to be white is likely to get different treatment than a businessman who happens to be Christian. I don’t know how unfair this is. Are they being judged by their race or by their (perceived) character? That’s one criticism of the current “political correctness” movement, it’s completely obsessed with superficial features such as race, as opposed to a person’s actual character.

To put that question back to you, do you think a “white Christian guy” who refused the scanner, and had items that tested positive for the b*mb-making materials, would be investigated? Do you think they would ask where he was going, what he was doing, etc?

I do agree with one thing you say. If the guy is being 100% honest, then there is profiling going on here. Parts of the story scream BS to me, for reasons I’ve suggested. Federal authorities are loathe to mention anything involving a person’s “background” or to appear to be behaving in reaction to a person’s race, color, creed, or sex. A more accurate title would be, “Don’t fly while brown during Ramadan, even if you’re Hindu, if you plan to refuse the high tech screening and have materials that will test positive for b*mb-making chemicals, because you are going to be investigated all the same.”

And how would you go about profiling which people might believe such a thing without resorting to decisions based on perceived nationality, ethnicity or religion? Would-be terrorists don’t generally wear signs around their necks stating "I am a Muslim fundamentalist who believes it is my religious duty to murder Americans." Nor do real-life terrorists usually dress like the stereotypical “jihadist,” in part because they know anyone with a long beard, a turban and desert robes is more likely to be scrutinized by airport security.

To put that question back to you, do you think a “white Christian guy”
who refused the scanner, and had items that tested positive for the
b*mb-making materials, would be investigated?

I most certainly don’t think that even a belligerent (let alone compliant) white Christian guy would be treated the same way as the author of this story. For example, they sent in an agent to interrogate him in Hindi when they found out he was Hindu, despite the fact that he was obviously an American. They asked “How religious are you? Would you describe yourself as ‘somewhat religious’ or ‘very religious’?” They also spoke ominously about his “background.”

3 Likes

I’ll easily buy that he was targeted due to racial profiling, but I don’t see anything to suggest Ramadan had anything to do with it. If the goon squad doesn’t know the difference between Muslim and Hindu, what are the chances that they even know what Ramadan is? And if they do know, they also know it’s not some traditional “jihad month” or anything.

I’d just like to point out that over the course of this thread you went all the way from “nothing in this story suggests racism” to “this story sounds far too racist to be credible.”

2 Likes

If you believe what he says (particularly in the latter part of the story), then there is “racism”. I don’t believe him based on the fact that federal authorities (as well as local law enforcement) tend to be very cautious about bringing anything involving race or creed into their investigations, due to the fact that this makes it likely that they will lose their jobs (since doing so is prohibited under federal law). I think the odds are as follows: 5% he actually was a victim of crooked feds. If they keep behaving in this manner they will be caught. 95% he was treated in a dick-ish manner, like the rest of us, but is embellishing what happened to him and playing the “race card” for his own selfish purposes. He won’t be caught or punished, but will just use this to attract attention and make it look like US authorities are actually targeting colored people or Muslims.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.