Dump your hard drive. A better backup solution in on sale in our store today

“Cloud computing is just other peoples’ computers.” - not me

12 Likes

b-b-but wha about ma shit int-o-net dat goes out when it rains???

2 Likes

Is this another random generator bot-thing?

5 Likes

“Retrieve stored files in approximately 3-5 hours”. Hmm, where have I heard that before. Oh yeah, Amazon Glacier. If this isn’t just a wrapper around Glacier I’ll eat my hat.

6 Likes

Dump your hard drive.

What? OK, if you say so.

A better backup solution in on sale in our store today

Wait… my computer won’t start now…

16 Likes

So they bought a bunch of used tape servers on eBay? (Or from eBay?)

6 Likes

No thanks.

I will keep my data on my 3Tb second harddrive (CD$150). After all, the Cloud is just somebody else’s computer, so why should I place my data on their computer? While it is likely secure, it is also a much, much larger target for data thieves. I also know the quality of my own maintenance levels, but I don’t know about the cloud company’s quality. I also control what 3rd party apps run on my system, but I have no control over what runs on the cloud company’s system. My computer, being in my home, is subject to law enforcement requiring a search warrant, but the cloud company is subject to other laws, laws that are not the same as the ones in my country. Laws such as the PATRIOT Act and FISA, with their secret security letters and gag orders, make my data much more vulnerable to government intrusion.

So, again, no thanks.

8 Likes

How does the reliability of the shingle-write 8TB disks look? Any long-term data trickling in?

…we need some sort of permanent data recording, maybe laser-etching to thin metal tape, or more likely writing into a holographic crystal… something that does not degrade (DVD-Rs, I am looking at YOU!) and can be read after many decades, or even centuries… and cheap enough to have multiple copies…

…really looking forward to the future where we’ll have very cheap femtosecond laser modules… may look as fantastic today as the green laser pointer DPSS modules with energy-doubling photonic crystals looked in 1970’s…

2 Likes

I’m really put off by these “Boing Boing Store” posts that are clearly just random crap that the BB writers haven’t bothered to look at much less endorse. I realize the site’s gotta make money somehow, but does it have to be at the expense of their credibility?

Contrast with Daring Fireball, whose “sponsors” are all directly vetted by Gruber.

9 Likes

He’s disclosed his financial arrangements with Apple to shill for them?

1 Like

@OtherMichael: Are you driving trollies the boards?

5 Likes

This is a feature?

4 Likes

Paper tape or a deck of punch-cards?

2 Likes

Yeah that is nice and non-volatile even against magnets when stored properly, but data density is really low.

Magnetic tape has stuck around for a reason, it strikes a good compromise. Some kind of optical tape might work as a step forward, keeping magnetic tape’s density but removing the need to keep magnets far away.

I’m kinda surprised that’s not already a thing, unless there’s some downside I’m missing.

1 Like

@shaddack
I’m not sure about 8Tb drives of any kind since they are out of my price range at this point. I had the opportunity to get the 3Tb and grabbed it. My current system came with a 1Tb. Since I also have a second, older computer, I have now set things up so my data storage is LAN based, with a 320Gb HDD as C drive on both systems, the 1Tb as my D drive on this system and the 3Tb running on the second, older system. Both using Win7 64bit.

I am voting for bog butter as a storage medium. That stuff can last 3 millennia easy.

7 Likes

Remember when BoingBoing WASN’T a spammy re seller with a few average -to-poorly written articles about random stuff?

6 Likes

Who’s to say these guys won’t be out of business tomorrow?

For an extra ten-spot, you can get a 1 TB pocket drive with a USB3 connection for both power and speedy transfer. I’ve got 2 of them, and alternate them for imaging my laptop’s HD.

2 Likes

The fact that Zoolz scans uploaded files for .torrent files (and who knows what else) makes this a no-go for me. Not the kind of company I can give my money.

5 Likes

I’m not sure, but I think my hard drive is somewhat faster than that.

9 Likes