eBay refuses to tell man why it suspended his new account

Well, such a filter should be ever-evolving BASED ON “current” or at least “prevalent” scammer profiles, but due to account takeover scams even the age of account doesn’t really mean anything unless you can analyze historical behavior. Security is always messy.

I do not disagree - but they should also be evolving to take account of false positives. But they have no incentive to review excluded accounts to see if they should have been

If they do not do that, all they will ever do is exclude ever more people - correctly or otherwise.

3 Likes

Which is a problem when businesses got too big: it starts to be UNCARING. Oh, you’re just one guy when we have gajillion users. We can afford to lose you. Go away. sigh

5 Likes

Quick pass on the full song there:

We data-mined your life
There’s no turning back
Even while offline
We will find you

Amplify your worst behaviour
No appeals to a better nature
Algorithms really rule the world

It’s it’s own desgin
It’s got no remorse
No need to decide
It makes sure there’s

No more freedom, so no pressure
Permabans that last forever

Off the grid, where the code won’t find you
Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
When they do, it’ll be right behind you

Too bad, you almost made it
So sad, no way to evade it

[Instrumental interlude]

It’s a black-box decision
Married to tunnel vision
Algorithms really rule the –
Know that you can never, never, never delete it
Got warned, but didn’t believe it
No more freedom, so no pressure
Permabans that last forever
Algorithms really rule the world.

24 Likes

I love it, but I have one very small suggestion:
So sad, no way to evade it
So sad, you can’t evade it

And, for those who wish to sing along, as I did

15 Likes

Solid work!

Great Job Applause GIF by Studios 2016

12 Likes

A Deadly Adoption Applause GIF

4 Likes

I suspect this might result in an immediate refusal to engage with that person at all, except through a lawyer.

1 Like

Mine won’t be after today. (The 24 hour “waiting period” after I submitted my deactivation notice yesterday.) It’s just not worth it to me anymore.

2 Likes

This is why I actively refuse to automate what is obviously a human guided process. Yes, we could flag certain IP ranges or domains as not allowed but beyond obvious markers, everything should be monitored and maintained by a human at the CS desk. I’m tired of seeing so many companies in and out of Silicon Valley thinking everything can be automated when it can’t be for many reasons (decidability being the biggest issue). If more folks would push back on this I think eventually C-suite nerds will get the message and back off.

2 Likes

I’m going to keep this phrase handy for when I cancel some service and they’re suddenly concerned about why I’m cancelling/transferring my service. (My cell phone provider soon. They were bought by Rogers, and I can’t stand Rogers.)

I know this isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I trust that I’ve already given you all the information available to address the issue. Bye.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.