Eight Atari-branded hotels coming to America

That’s a bit incorrect. I meant I’d rather spend my money on a really amazing bed than on a hotel with Atari branding. Most hotel beds are “meh” at best, it wasn’t a dig at Atari. Child me would have dug the brand more than looking for a hotel with a really high quality bed. Basically its a dig on me being old. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to have a book written in the 80s about the success of Atari. As I recall it was very happy with fun illustrations. I wish I still had it. I also wish that Atari hadn’t been cannibalized so thoroughly.

1 Like

RGB everywhere. Spikey metal uselessly applied to everything. Lots of red.

We’re talking luxury gaming hotel here. If it doesn’t look like a tribal tattoo by way of Tron it’ll be for posers.

2 Likes

Eh, I’d prefer that over drab and beige like every other hotel these days.

But come on. This is Atari branded. It is already for posers. Nobody with cred gives a single shit about the Atari brand. It’s squarely aimed at nostalgic Gen X/Baby Boomers.

3 Likes

I played Atari growing up. I have fond memories.

I will not be picking my hotels based on that.

6 Likes

Sounds like a good place to crash

14 Likes

The list is long. JVC, Nakamichi, Grundig, Bush, Blaupunkt, Polaroid, Hitachi among others.

4 Likes

For me, I want a giant Jacuzzi style tub in the hotel room, and a decent bed. But I’m strange.

1 Like

Trump is looking at this deal and thinking “Not bad, I have to meet this Mr. Atari someday.”

4 Likes

Welcome to the Atari hotel. Your key is hidden in a secret room, protected by a dragon.

19 Likes

Loved Rampage. (The game, not the movie.)

I was recently in a Dave & Buster’s because of a ‘work thing’, and was surprised to see a new Rampage game based on the movie, which was, of course, based on the game.

The Laws of Movie / Video Game Spinoffs:

1. Movies based on video games suck.
  2. Video games based on movies suck.
    –and now–
  3. Transitive property: games based on movies based on games (and vice versa) suck.
2 Likes

Why? They’re trying to make the building seem all Blade-Runnery, obviously! (This is literally the only answer that makes any sense to me.)

This is also true of a number of other once-great game companies. The difference with Atari is, it happened so long ago that subsequently the body was disinterred, zombified, eventually shot in the head and then reburied - several times.

Not quite - WotC was a vital company when they built that, Atari was dead for decades before anyone came up with this idea. Atari literally only exists as a name used in licensing deals. Also, it sounds like WotC were a little ahead of the times in opening their center, whereas this particular deal makes no damn sense at any time.

I tend to think of “Atari” as a Texas Chainsaw Massacre-style flesh mask, myself. Except it’s also being worn by a succession of zombies.

8 Likes

Nolan Bushnell has said that if he had just had a couple of good nights of sleep he wouldn’t have sold Atari to Warner Communications. It is such a sad story. Warner immediately pushed Nolan out and replaced him with Ray Kassar who compared video game designers to towel designers. When the Atari 2600 became a giant success, it convinced the bosses at Warner that Ray Kassar was a genius and ignoring the fact that it was the pre-acquisition management who had the idea. There was no one looking at the quality. It all became about stuffing the channel rather than product quality.

When Atari was acquired by Jack Tramiel I thought it was good news and in retrospect it may have been the best you could have expected at the time. At least the Tramiels executed on a vision and brought things ti market. But they were quite shortsighted and miserly with costs which is not necessarily bad, but to be successful in the computer business you need more than a low price. You have to have high enough margins to reinvest in new product development. And Jack just never believed in that. At his heart he was a cheapskate who operated his businesses in kind of an unethical and very mean way.

3 Likes

Rather like the Trump branding. It’s rooted entirely in the morally bankrupt bluster of an impossibly pampered, demented, failed billionaire and sexual predator.

Which brings up a very good point:

Sanders / Atari 2020

You’re welcome.

2 Likes

And if your room key does not work, just blow in the slot,

5 Likes

I hope they have a VCR in the hotel rooms so that I can play the tape that I recorded of my kids splashing around in the pool.

Given their track record with everything since… oh, I’d say 1983, I’m going to go out on a limb and say this will never, ever happen.

2 Likes

Sorry Papasan, only the various Sega Joypolis-es in Tokyo for your enjoyment. (And the Taito Game Stations, etc…)

2 Likes

Hopefully this will inspire an Atari Teenage Riot hotel. Cue obligatory!!!

4 Likes

I had a Bell and Howell Apple ][, back in the day. It was awesome, because it had a black case.
I bought a bunch at a University school sale, and sold 'em on ebay, back in the day.
(Just to tie B&H branding to random electronics…)

3 Likes