Elon Musk thinks we're probably living in a simulation

Well, obviously. You should have used idclip.

2 Likes

Elon could use some Botox and an eyelift. How you gonna front a multibillion dollar endeavor looking like ET?

I think you have to stare at goats first.

3 Likes

With 7 billion simulated pairs of eyes, perhaps. In fact, the simulation is running for you alone.

2 Likes

? It already is a perfect simulation of itself, tautologically. I suspect you mean something else. There are information theoretic inequalities that you might be able use to make related arguments. Something along the lines of not being able to simulate a system with high Kolmogorov complexity with a system of low Kolmogorov complexity.

Personally, Iā€™m not convinced that ā€œthe universe is a simulationā€ is even a meaningful statement let alone a testable one.

That means that somebody one of us knows isnā€™t really from our reality, they are just here playing the game and we donā€™t know about it. So when you spot them, you have to try to get them to fess up.

Right - Donaldā€¦?

2 Likes

I often theorised as a youth that it was possible I was the only entity that existed, but that after eternal isolation I had hallucinated other entities into existence because the isolation of a single entity was too much to bear. It is kind of psychoticā€¦

Sometimes I amuse myself with the notion that this is the nature of God.

5 Likes

My opinion is that weā€™re not in a simulation, for a very simple reason: I have Level one CEV.

If weā€™re in a simulation, itā€™s probably simulating a small section of the universe, and just simulating the parts people can see. Anything else would be a waste of computing power.

If thatā€™s the case, why would you build a consciousness that routinely ignores superfluous data, and an optic nerve that is sensitive to CEV, and then not have the former make the latter go away? Itā€™d be so much easier, if thereā€™s this stuff, to design the people either to ignore the static, or to see it and use it to explain any imperfections in the visual field, but not to both see it and not see it.

That is, of course, discounting the possibility that the entire universe is a simulation on such a low level that itā€™s indistinguishable from being a universe. in which case, who cares?

3 Likes

Sometimes it feels as if mainstream American culture and political discourse are a simulation of a natural spontaneous national culture, though I suppose thereā€™s still still some degree of ā€˜dropping outā€™ to more real and spontaneous sub-societies, local or online. Like boingboing.net!

1 Like

Uriel had better make sure there isnā€™t a buffer-overflow bug this run.

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty much exactly what the Advaita Vedanta school of Hinduism thinks.

2 Likes

Well, if you consider each thing to be an ipso facto simulation of itself, then it certainly is a meaningless statementā€¦

1 Like

Sometimes, when Iā€™m tired and close my eyes, I see a stream of faces. Just face after face at varying distances and angles each quickly morphing or fading into the next. It looks pretty damn neat, actually.

Iā€™ve looked it up and just found a bunch of woo-ey bullshit about third eyes and ghosts, etc. Obviously itā€™s more related to sensory deprivation and pareidolia, but it definitely is a real, strong phenomenon, even if most of the reports are attached to dubious explanations.

The really weird thing about it is that Iā€™ve got moderate face blindness. I fail to recognize people or mix them up all the time when they change their hair or jewelry or clothing style or I see them outside a usual context.

3 Likes

Then Elon should direct his efforts into hacking the simulator, rather than working on road, space and underground transportation. By his argument, teleportation should be just a code change away.

5 Likes

But the simulator might be in a universe much greater in extent than ours. It could have more dimensions for example. Our entire universe, simulated in full, could be a game run on some kidā€™s phone.

4 Likes

Until Iā€™m able to edit values in my avatar to give myself normal vision, or my mom her heart in good working order, or my twin rebuilt so his body isnā€™t wasted away to nothing, or my (adopted) sister to undo the damage her biological parents didā€¦

I donā€™t give two shits.

At the very least give us the fā€™ing rosebud cheat.

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently reading Conor Kostickā€™s YA trilogy Epic, Saga, and Edda.
They have a similar theme - artificial universes/games which overlap each other and the ā€œreal worldā€. Some of the constructs are strictly non-sentient NPCs. Others ā€œthink theyā€™re peopleā€. Some of those can interface with the ā€œreal worldā€ via robot bodies.
Quite liking them, nothing groundshaking but deftly handled and fun. Recommended for Happy Mutants or their (pre-)teens.

1 Like

That explains why all the smart ones have glasses, they needed to be kept in checkā€¦

Again, though, if itā€™s simulated in that kind of detail: who cares? If the fundamental unit of the universe is an electric signal in a 15-dimensional computer, or if itā€™s the vibration of a 11-dimensional string (not that Iā€™m a proponent of string theory), at that point, what difference does it make?

3 Likes

One in Billions Chance = Probably

1 Like