De-aged Elton John for Christmas gets some likes and some hates

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/10/elton-john-for-christmas-gets.html

4 Likes

“Saturday nights all right with me”

EJ

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure why this would get any hate, assuming you take this for what it is…

That said, stylistically, it made me dizzy as the first 1:40 or just spun all the shots around. I would’ve found another, less annoying way to convey the message (which is pleasant enough).

/shrug

4 Likes

Aw, I don’t get the hate either, that’s an exceptional commercial. I’m not even a big fan of :star_struck: and it still hits a great emotional note without being saccharine.

7 Likes

John Lewis are also a workers co-operative, which is why they have Partners in their name.

8 Likes

Is it because the gays aren’t allowed to Christmas? What with their worshipping Satan and all?

That’s what it would be in the US.

3 Likes

i loved this commercial – it seriously brought tears to my eyes. but then again i’m a known softie. what sort of grinch could hate on this commercial? it’s so well done, and the message is solid.

4 Likes

Maybe Luton FC supporters? (Traditional rivals of Watford, EJ’s football club.)

It is hard to beat last year’s Christmas ad from German grocer Edeka:

3 Likes

Is this hate Rocketman-related?

I’m not sure but John Lewis makes a commercial like this every year, it’s a tradition and like all traditions some people can’t stand them.

2 Likes

Yes, but Trump is involved in the Rocketman topic.

4 Likes

Luxury.
In them days, we’d a’ been glad to have a pair of rubber bands, some thumbtacks and an end of a plank.

1 Like

When did your village stop strapping the kid to the plank at Christmas?

1 Like

What do you mean, “stop” ?

2 Likes

I knew Scarfolk was too accurate to be fiction!

2 Likes

Tears. I, too, don’t get the hate.

The answer is but a bing away…

a) not Xmas-y enough, and

b) John Lewis got played to shill for EJ’s upcoming biopic, making it…

Who knows?
How about we switch to Froot Loops to be on the safe side.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.