Energy efficient cryptocurrency still emits as much carbon as 2-3 coal plants

Shocked Oh My God GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

7 Likes

You may want to ‘just keep this around’ to see if you can make a little personal profit, but just know that you’re doing it at the expense of every other person on earth. That crypto you hold has absolutely zero use except as a gambling token, and the downside is enormous. I think you need to take your moral compass to a repair shop.

9 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

5 Likes

That would be a rather significant conflict of interest, no? If it’s not spam, it’s very spam-adjacent.

9 Likes

spam GIF

5 Likes

it’s not a pyramid scheme it’s the future

WHY DO YOU HATE THE FUTURE

10 Likes

4 Likes

This is the “future” that everybody in the 20th century was talking about… we’re living in it…

star wars ugh GIF by IFC

StupidTimeToBeAlive

7 Likes

The dark equation of harm versus good means blockchain’s had its day

6 Likes

Where is the context? How much energy goes into creating coins and ‘folding’ money? How much energy goes into processing your Apple Pay transaction. When you buy that fair trade coffee with the coins you found in your couch, what is the energy load to add it up, count it at the bank, credit the coffee place’s account, sort/roll the coins, transfer rolled coins to a business so they can make change, then carry those coins back to you place to lose in the couch again?

All financial transactions take energy to enable, process and track. Let’s see someone do a proper comparison and I bet digital cash will always come out as emitting less GHG.

Digital cash is not necessarily cryptocurrency.

7 Likes

Ohhhh don’t get started on electric cars now…

2 Likes

I bet money produces more GHG than crypto

8 Likes

Ok. So “digital” cash includes but is not limited to cryptocurrency. And your point is??

My point is all forms of “money” takes energy to deal with. So, handwringing about one form’s ghg impact while not explaining any other form’s impact is lazy and misleading.

Whoa, there. If you’re gonna just ask questions that hard, at least use lube.

Need Lube GIF

5 Likes

So we’re just going to gish-gallop away from what the article FUCKING SAYS

6 Likes

You Ethereum cryptobros have been talking about Proof of Stake any day now for multiple YEARS. At this point, STFU and deliver, and stop bragging about its effects until you at least get enough data to measure for as long as you’ve been promising Proof of Stake. If it’ll do what you say it’ll do, your results would be peer reviewable and obvious within two years of deployment. Please wait until then instead of making promises you haven’t been able to keep this far.

10 Likes

GIF by BrownSugarApp

This is literally making our environmental problem worse for no reason whatsofuckingever. None. this solves no problem and makes some we’re dealing with far worse…

12 Likes

Buncha
Sea Lion Reaction GIF by Cameo

happening in this one.

5 Likes

Do you want a Dyson Swarm? Because if “proof of work” schemes were substituted for credit card networks, the energy requirements would be absurd.

so, if credit card tranactions consume 240.61 TWh/y, and all of them were replaced by proof of work, the energy required would be tens of exawatt-hours…

The world only produces 26,700 TWh/y. most of that from coal and gas.

Climb that Kardashev scale.

5 Likes