Enshittification: The Thread

So that’s, what, many millions of machines needing an in-person fix to sort out? Lot of billable overtime is that. :moneybag:

5 Likes

An extremely expensive blunder, to be sure. I’m sure CrowdStrike is having a very, very bad day.

5 Likes

They’re not the only ones having a bad day. I know quite a few people traveling overseas for a conference right now. My wife is currently stranded at her layover in Paris – which would be great if not for everyone having these issues and it being a week before the Olympics.

8 Likes

Their shareholders most certainly are.

I love this bit from the article…

• Hosts running Windows 7/2008 R2 are not impacted

:grin:

8 Likes

The cloud allows the companies whose products you rely on to alter the functioning and cost of those products unilaterally. Like mobile apps – which can’t be reverse-engineered and modified without risking legal liability – cloud apps are built for enshittification. They are designed to shift power away from users to software companies. An app is just a web-page wrapped in enough IP to make it a felony to add an ad-blocker to it. A cloud app is some Javascript wrapped in enough terms of service clickthroughs to make it a felony to restore old features that the company now wants to upcharge you for.

https://pluralistic.net/2024/07/22/degoogled/#kafka-as-a-service

3 Likes
3 Likes

Oh yes, it’s definitely the primary distinguishing competitive advantage that Southwest holds over other carriers that’s the problem, and not, say, their repeated operational failures during the last year or two.

6 Likes

… I just found a piece of metal in something I bought from the deli section at Safeway

Chew your food, people :grimacing:

8 Likes

American Horror Story Metal GIF by AHS

4 Likes

Adobe’s controversial billing practices and punitive fees for those terminating their subscriptions early follow from the software titan’s addiction to revenue, the FTC has said.

In a newly unredacted [PDF] filing by the US watchdog in its lawsuit against the Photoshop maker, the FTC claims Adobe executives know its “inadequate … disclosures” about its annual paid-monthly plans “harm and mislead consumers” but yet those execs “continue to engage in these unlawful practices because better disclosures would hurt Adobe’s bottom line by reducing subscription revenues.”

[…]

3 Likes

Maybe you got Superman’s lunch by mistake

1 Like

13 Likes
11 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

6 Likes

2 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes

“We didn’t implement it, we were just seriously thinking about it” is not enough to avoid a lifelong boycott from me. In my opinion, even considering this kind of bullshit should be enough to instantly sink a company.

7 Likes