Enshittification: The Thread

Wow, enshittification indeed. :astonished:

Good warning too for those who make good bank, especially those making all of their bank, from making YouTube videos.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Kickstarting a book to end enshittification, because Amazon will not carry it

https://pluralistic.net/2023/07/31/seize-the-means-of-computation/#the-internet-con

My next book is The Internet Con: How to Seize the Means of Computation: it’s a Big Tech disassembly manual that explains how to disenshittify the web and bring back the old good internet. The hardcover comes from Verso on Sept 5, but the audiobook comes from me – because Amazon refuses to sell my audio:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doctorow/the-internet-con-how-to-seize-the-means-of-computation

10 Likes

Well fuck. We just bought an LG TV

4 Likes

… did it do any crimes yet :open_mouth:

2 Likes

It’s been fine so far. I dislike the way it keeps trying to force me to use the YouTube app instead of of just casting from the tablet. I don’t want to spend 5 minutes finding that particular episode of True and Bartleby embedded in a four episode upload. Just cast the damned thing. Other than that, it’s been nice.

2 Likes

… everything is so complicated now

Machines are literally competing for our attention

5 Likes

“Dumb TV’s” are hard to find at retail places; I got one refurbed at a discount place a few years ago.

My next TV is going to be a hotel TV. The specs say they are explicitly “not smart”.

5 Likes

Offering four times the pixels of Full HD, the 710 Series showcases content in stunning, lifelike detail. PurColor technology concentrates on red, green and blue color adjustment points, but unlike traditional LED, PurColor also adjusts magenta, yellow and cyan.

:thinking:

3 Likes
8 Likes

17 Likes

So, warmed-over crap. Not that Google ever stood for anything else than making money.

5 Likes
5 Likes

More of HP being shitty and trying to force subscriptions

5 Likes

When you have to pay to do the airlines’ work for them…

ETA: She was reimbursed, but still – the time and the effort involved. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

And fittingly her return flight was delayed too. I wonder if they charged her to recheck the bag?

5 Likes
8 Likes

Good. I just get recommended utter crap from content mills.

11 Likes

This kinda shit is why (besides being old) that I only play Word Hero. No buys, no pressure, just words.

4 Likes