Eugenics?

Yes, actually it does. Eugenics is not a thing. Stop trying to make it a thing.

36 Likes

Nursing Clio, FTW:

9 Likes

Iā€™m sure @tomxvesely doesnā€™t understand how evolution works. Iā€™m not saying this to be mean to him, but his comment demonstrated that with impressive efficiency.

Or heā€™s just trying to resurrect eugenics, but (on my good days) I prefer to assume lack of knowledge before malice.

17 Likes

I donā€™t think that a support of eugenics is necessarily malicious, at least intentionally so. After all, many proponents of the ā€œscienceā€ really believed that they were helping people and humanity.

7 Likes

Indeed. But as you pointed out, itā€™s long since been thoroughly debunked. I have to remind myself that younger people arenā€™t necessarily taught history these days and might legitimately not realize the question has been settled. @tomxvesely appreciates RadioLab, so Iā€™m inclined to think he just doesnā€™t know the history and science in this case and is open to learning more.

Fortunately we have professional historians in the BBS community :wink:

8 Likes

Oh, I suspect they know all too well.

This is America. No matter how well-intentioned any program is, it will be abused to uphold white majority rule. Vote ID. Eugenics. GI Bill. Voting rights.

10 Likes

If anybody can recommend a distinct term that others will recognize for egalitarian selective breeding, I would be happy to use it instead. I am not aware of word that conveys the meaning without the baggage of abuse, so a contentious word is all I have.

2 Likes

ā€¦ maybe meritocratic? Meritocratic mating? Not sure anybodyā€™s coined a term for that yet. Coitus meritous indeed.

2 Likes

Well not getting into Eugenics or what have you, the fact we were able to domesticate one species of fox doesnā€™t mean that will work with ALL animals or humans.

We can tame some animals to a degree, but true docile domestication is very rare. Why werenā€™t we riding zebras out of Africa? Because they look like horses, but donā€™t act like horses. Same with bison. Hell today the ā€œtameā€ ones we have a pretty much all hybrids with cattle.

We donā€™t fully understand domestication, but there is most likely a genetic element to it. But to think it is as simple as selective breeding is naive. Try breeding a dog who doesnā€™t want to sniff another dogs butt.

11 Likes

I think OMIM is a valuable research tool.

1 Like

When we do it to animals, we usually call it breeding, not eugenics. So, cool, letā€™s start breeding humans. What could go wrong?

8 Likes

Yeah, no really, what you are proposing is horrific. The fact that you are proposing it is horrific. Please stop.

14 Likes

Gahhhh!!! Honestly!!! Just stop!!!

11 Likes

There is no evidence for such a thing as a ā€œrape geneā€. You might as well suggest the answer lay in a phrenology approach.

20 Likes

No, they werenā€™t. The foxes underwent the process of domestication - thatā€™s not the same as ā€œpeacefulā€ (see, for example, dogs, which are fully capable of attacking people despite being domesticated). It does not mean theyā€™re not capable of acts of aggression. Also, human beings arenā€™t foxes, but we are usually considered self-domesticated.

13 Likes

Folks, in case you havenā€™t noticed, itā€™s the 2010s. There is no idea so discredited, so bankrupt in theory or utterly horrible in even the smallest taste of practice, that we canā€™t give it another shot. Nazism, eugenics, whatever. Why not give foot binding, trial by ordeal, or weregild a try? Itā€™s a whole new world, where all the lessons of the past donā€™t apply for reasons.

31 Likes

I had to look that up, I thought it might have something to do with lycanthropy.

Reality was infinitely more depressing.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve foundā€¦ People who useā€¦ Ellipses like thatā€¦ Never have anythingā€¦ Usefulā€¦ To sayā€¦ Especially when they advocateā€¦ Eugenicsā€¦

9 Likes

I am not sure that these are truly two different outlooks. Might it not be that this love is sometimes a subconscious way of making the same kinds of decisions? Ingroup versus outgroup, who I would like to start a family with versus who I would not? Many seem quite attached to preferences of physique and attitude, even if they donā€™t quite make a taxonomy of pseudo-scientific ā€œtraitsā€.

Bringing it back a bit more on-topic (I hope!), I think there is an argument to be made that keeping love, sex, and reproduction distinct in oneā€™s life can result in more civilized and altruistic outcomes. And by civilized, I do not mean white or aristocratic, I mean deliberate. Then if a person rapes another, they canā€™t resort to the excuse that they needed an orgasm to exert control over somebody else.

I can respect you insisting that this is the definition that you prefer to work from, but defining it for both of us unilaterally seems dishonest. Thatā€™s why earlier I pointed out the distinction between the denotation and connotation of the term. People seem adamant in forcing a consensus about this rather than having an open discussion. That means that anybody who disagrees is either Misinformed or A Bad Person, and we only need to figure out which. Natural selection, indeed!

No, whatā€™s dishonest is you redefining words to suit your purpose. The actual definition is: ā€œthe science of improving a human population by controlled breeding to increase the occurrence of desirable heritable characteristics.ā€

Human population. Not tomatoes.

14 Likes