Every time there's a mass shooting, gun execs & investors gloat about future earnings

In the past two decades, the AR-15 has evolved into an open, modular gun platform that’s infinitely hackable and accessorizable. With only a few simple tools and no gunsmithing expertise, an AR-15 can be heavily modified, or even assembled from scratch, from widely available parts to suit the fancy and fantasy of each individual user. In this respect, the AR-15 is the world’s first “maker” gun, and this is why its appeal extends well beyond the military enthusiasts that many anti-gun types presume make up its core demographic.

Yep.

Note to anyone who is in favor of seriously restricting gun ownership by private citizens…what you’re saying is that this guy

is all the protection you’ll ever need.

1 Like

You’re being purposefully(?) obtuse. My comments don’t contradict each other in the least.

M1 Abrams are obviously very dangerous things, but I seriously doubt they account for even 1% of deaths by motor vehicle in the USA.

Doesn’t mean I want my neighbors to be able to buy them.

2 Likes

I don’t see how that argues against anything I’ve said either.

1 Like

There is effectively zero difference between an AR-15 and the Ruger Ranch RIfle in my gun safe. It’s just the bling bling accessories (which is one reason I don’t own an AR, I hate that kind of stuff)

I thought that your post about “scary black rifles” indicated that you understood that. Obviously I was completely wrong.

1 Like

I understand that. You have a weapon designed for the purpose of combat with other human beings in your gun safe. I’m still not sure how that helps your case.

You seem like you’re getting a little off-track. Please recall that I did not argue that scary rifles should be banned. I argued that it’s reasonable to suppose there might be some justification for such a ban. Unless you’re a a total ideologue, that seems like the sort of point that should be conceded (possibility is a low bar; whether it’s actually a good idea is a higher one, and something I didn’t comment on).

The accessories concept is interesting. Even outside of the field of rifles. I am going to investigate the use of the Picatinny rail for mounting webcams, aiming lasers and other stuff on 3d printers and other CNC machinery, and of mounting cams and displays on goggles and helmets for work. Looks like a proven standard with available 3d models Out There, some even in OpenSCAD.

I have weapons too. And I don’t even keep mine in a safe!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.