Evolutionary psychologists are very butthurt about the new Scientific American

I was doing some reading and came across this, funnily enough.

Which sums up and explains my critcisms about evo-psych and this whole debate about binary sexes and biology far more eloquently than I could.

"Those of us who are critical of evolutionary psychology (EP) are often accused of being anti-evolution and/or anti-psychology. Many of us are neither. That’s because evolutionary psychology isn’t really evolution and it isn’t really psychology. It’s more of a philosophy of science applied to human traits and behaviors. It’s part of a range of ideologies that can trace their roots to eugenics: social Darwinism, sociobiology, behavior genetics, evolutionary psychology. All of these are part of what Nancy Ordover calls the “bio-psych merge” in her book American Eugenics. They are all attempts to graft hard science onto soft science in order to legitimize it, often undertaken by people with backgrounds in soft science. To me, EP proponents’ touchiness about criticism often feels like an inferiority complex, psychologists who hate being lumped in with social sciences (especially anthropology). And in my experience, they are often touchier and more humorless than the feminists and postmodernists with whom they disagree most frequently.
Evolutionary psychology is at its worst (but most entertaining) when they create these imaginative after-the-fact “just so stories,” making unfalsifiable claims that are not based on the data collected. For instance, one EP paper said women’s brains developed to prefer pink because their brains specialized with trichromacy for gathering fruits:

… these underpin the female preference for objects ‘redder’ than the background. As a gatherer, the female would also need to be more aware of color information than the hunter. This requirement would emerge as greater certainty and more stability in female color preference, which we find. An alternative explanation for the evolution of trichromacy is the need to discriminate subtle changes in skin color due to emotional states and social-sexual signals; again, females may have honed these adaptations for their roles as care-givers and ‘empathizers.’

• This kind of stuff appeals to people because it reaffirms what they already believe to be true: women are passive, nurturing care-givers who stayed at home or gathered berries. Never mind that pink didn’t get canonized as a girl’s color until recently (Answers to Inquiries, Our Continent 1882). That’s why this is such a good example of the problem with EP.

Some often-believed tenets of evolutionary psychologists:
Computational mind (the brain is more like a computer than a biological organ)
Determinism (biology is destiny)
Fatalism (free will/choice is an illusion)
Consciousness (subjective awareness deludes us into thinking we have free will)
Reductionism or essentialism (race and gender are concrete, not socially constructed, can be reduced to their genetic essence, and are quantifiable)
Intelligence is definable and measurable
Sexual selection should focus on benefits for the individual organism

The “function” or “purpose” of life is to make more life
The __ gene: The gay gene, the god gene, etc.
There’s significant evidence that gene expression is not as clear-cut as these ideas suggest, and brain plasticity makes it difficult to prove that this or that part of the brain developed to address this or that adaptation. Clearly, genetics play a role in who we are. But it doesn’t do any good to explain away phenomena like rape, altruism and other puzzling behaviors with unsupported statements that devolve into fanciful imaginations regarding their origins.
Occasionally the argument is made that because EP is a concern to people on both the political right and left, EP must be right. This kind of fallacious thinking is at the heart of the problem with EP. What if both sets of critics are correct?"

Thanks @AndreaJames!

11 Likes

Gould has a whole book on that subject:

9 Likes

Pinker has bell curves too. His are based on data.

Um, the curves I showed were merely an illustration in order to ask a question.

1 Like

You keep insisting this. The definition of the word simply does not support your insistence. You can stop pretending I didn’t provide you references from both the Merriam-Webster and Oxford dictionaries now; your insistence does NOT define language for everyone else.

If you’re going to nitpick, be correct or face the inevitable consequences of exposure as a prat.

3 Likes

Whoo, boy.

I know this is going to be a shitshow. Even with qualifiers I’m going to be shit on. But … it has to be done.

First of all, the shitting on the messenger (sorry, Kathy!):

There are only two types of video games.
Anti-progressive gamers.

I’m going to operate on the assumption that in the first sentence you meant ‘video gamers’.

It would also be neat if you listed the second type of gamer in your post after that.

But what I really dislike is the binary look here. I dislike it in everything. And so should you. Yet you post that binary take on gamers. Wonderfully hypocritical.

Then the bolded text:

and repeating the words “there are only two genders” constantly

Well, yeah, there are. XX and XY. And whilst there are many biological exceptions, that is the most of the world. Hermaphrodites, physical dimorphism, ‘woman who turns out to be XY at 89’ … so exceptional that even the sum total almost don’t make it as a percentage of what the world really is.

And here is why that ‘only two types of gamers’ is so hypocritical: whilst there are only two genders, sexuality and behaviour are on a spectrum. Gay and straight are a continuum. And most skew to their biological gender. Terms like cis or hetero or gay or whatever are all used in relation to gender. You want to speak about sexuality, sexual and social behaviour? Fine. But use the proper terms. Understand that if you’re talking about certain things you’re speaking about something else than gender. You’re then talking about sexuality and social behaviour. A trans person is, biologically, a gender. With a sexuality/behavioural mismatch with their actual gender. And that can fuck them up and make it so that gender reassignment will make them feel whole again. But with the muscle structure and other inherent factors of their genetics. Which can only be changed so much with current pharmacology. As of yet a female will never be able to impregnate a male and a male cannot get pregnant. That is the definition of gender.

If your mind is so far on a direction of those spectra that you identify with another gender: fine. If reassignment makes you happier? Fine. Wonderful! Wish I could gain a bit of happiness that way! Live like a man. Live like a woman. Identify as such to society! But biology means you can’t create sperm, or have a womb, your muscles work a certain way and your brain has a certain structure. There are two genders. Thankfully you get to decide how to live.

Yes, the whole gamergate thing is incredible. A whole slew of misogynistic fuckers used it to imagine their disgusting views were …valid? wanted? excusable?

But the women only Wonder Women screenings are an odd thing. A gender exclusive screening. Women fought against gender exclusive clubs for centuries. But this is different? The simple fact is that you can’t have both: if you want women only gatherings, you cannot be against male only gatherings.

And for that I will probably be pilloried. I’ll be accused of ‘whataboutism’. Of being anti-feminist (and I am: I believe in gender equal opportunity, not inherent equality in every aspect [just as I do not think all (wo)men are equal; some are better at basketball and some are better weightlifters and some are better at mathematical proofs]).

I believe for any job you look at candidates and select the best. I also believe men and women are treated differently in a corporate environment. Often due to the different way the genders operate (women are way to quickly seen as bitchy, men actually ask for raises and advancement), in certain environments due to sexism. Then again, I was raised by a woman who made it quite far up the ladder and have female friends who have made it to the upper reaches of multinationals (and I see a lot of women there, too).

But when I see that one paragraph (I have read the actual research a while back, the qz article shown in your post just jumps out) in your post stating ‘there are only two types of gamers’ (something which does have a continuum) and stating (paraphrasing) ‘saying there are only two genders is sexist’ about something which IS binary (although sexuality and behaviour are on a spectrum) and dismissing sexist (per definition!) gatherings (they exclude! If you accept that, fine! But then you have to accept activities/gatherings/clubs which exclude women!) as whining …

Then I have to at least try and point out the hypocrisy and the biological error. Because it is more complicated than that. Men and women, XX and XY in general just do have differences; biological (muscle structure to name one … actually makes women better fighter pilots) AND mental. And they are all on a continuum, a spectrum, a scale. And there is overlap and there are outliers.

No one is denying that there aren’t some differences. Evo-psych is rightfully critcized for overstating and declaring that those differences are innate and immutable, even though the two sexes’ behaviors have changed signifigantly in recent decades and in tandem with social change, and notably without biological change.

6 Likes

Nope.

And the second line is from the article I quoted.

I think you’re confusing sex and gender - and limiting the sex definition far too much. You state there are brain differences- yet don’t note the cross sex brain structures identified in transgender folks - which aren’t genetic per se. And you assume all contributions to sexually dimorphism features are genetic when many are epigenetic.

Else why could say trans women lactate if only “sex chromosomes” were determinative?

But I appreciate being lectured to about trans people…uh I am one.

9 Likes

Then please give me your perspective, as the response you give is what I typically get when I explain I believe in christ and the redemption and have faith in God.

Typically when I do that it’s the militant atheists that pop off basically what you just wrote so it’s strange that when I point out that behaviorally and neurologically it’s been proven humanity uses many of the same behaviors other ‘smart’ animals use, just in more complex and varied ways.

So please let me know why you feel i am so uncultured and unlettered.

3 Likes

maybe, just maybe, women might want a space where the whooping and gasping relates less to wonder woman’s biology and more to her actions. maybe they they don’t want to hear “nice tits” or “nice legs” whispered by the men directly behind them. maybe they don’t need after movie questions starting with “as a woman, how do you feel about…” as if they were somehow responsible for the feelings of all women. maybe once, just once, it’d be nice to see a movie about a woman with other women.

regardless of why – it has nothing to do with you.

it’s not like you can’t see the movie at another time. it’s not like you need a female chaperone to be seen out in public. it’s not like all of society is worried about your morals should you be in a darkened theater where “anything could happen”.

women seeing wonder woman alone or together is not your problem. nor is it a problem at all. you don’t need to be worried about it. you don’t need to be threatened.

celebrate with the rest of us that it’s even a possibility.

8 Likes

It’s also a focus of the work of Kuhn, Feyerabend [1] and Longino [2].

[1] Feyerabend is an idiot.

[2] Longino is awesome.

In principle, it’s a set of interesting questions (exactly how did human cognitive processes evolve) that are, for one reason or another, nigh impossible to answer.

Compounding this is the problem that most “philosophers of science” have better writing skills than most scientists, and this is often confused for being right.

1 Like

Yes, It certainly sounds like it.

2 Likes

He was a founding father of the Counter-Enlightmenment.

3 Likes

On a related theme, here’s a bit by Alan Sokal:

4 Likes

The latest Deep Sky Video (like computerphile, numberphile, periodic videos, objectivity… except it’s about Astronomy) is on an asterism that was included as a Messier object by mistake.

An exercise in Confirmation Bias:

The way it was explained to me was that in most respects, Germany could be thought as a “modern” and rational society. Yet, to use a cliche, they “slid into barbarism” in 1933. So perhaps the “modern project” was on extremely thin ice. Thus, postmodernism…

This is rather relevant as well:

And this:

See also:

https://www.nature.com/scitable/content/The-chromosome-number-in-humans-a-brief-15575

We spent fifty years insisting that humans had less chromosomes than they actually do, because researchers trusted established dogma more than the evidence of their own eyes, and publication bias silenced the heretics.

1 Like

So, Gould’s Wonderful Life is obsolete.

At least the Cambrian–Ordovician extinction event isn’t in the Big Five.

1 Like