Facebook bans Trump "indefinitely"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/07/facebook-bans-trump-indefinitely.html

6 Likes

Cue cries of censorship in 3… 2…

6 Likes

The lesson here is clear: Be a dictator for four years and lose 13 days of access to Facebook.

25 Likes

I guess Zuck doesn’t need to suck up to the Orange Menace any longer.

19 Likes

On the one hand, yes, he did incite a violent insurrection against the legitimately elected government of the United States in a pathetic attempt to cling to power.

On the other hand, I was unjustly banned from Television Without Pity for pointing out (correctly!) that their BSG recaps were nightmarishly self-indulgent.

My point is, I condemn extremists on both sides.

10 Likes

3 years too late.

7 Likes

More like 5.5 years or so too late.

14 Likes

Eh, given that even as of this morning you can go on Facebook and find all sorts of election fraud conspiracy theory and other forms of damaging content I think they have bigger things to worry about.

Trump could come out today and make the most earnest plea for peace and mea culpa ever, but it wouldn’t make a lick of difference. Things are out of the bag and it will take a lot more to contain it than banning Trump.

5 Likes

to be honest, i didn’t realize he even HAD a facebook account. he uses twitter far more.

4 Likes

Going too far right or left puts one in the exact same, very nasty place. No matter which direction taken, it becomes fascism, totalitarianism. When rwnjs scream at me about how murderous and authoritarian the soviets were, I laugh & ask them how murderous and authoritarian were the nazis? I tell 'em I was never pro-soviet in any form, and express the ideas in the first two sentences of this comment. Sometimes that gets them thinking.

One rwnj, after a brief political conversation, yelled about “communist” gov’ts’ demanding sartorial conformity of their subjects. I told him all the rich suburban rethugs I knew stuck to a very strict, self-, parent-, and peer-imposed preppy dress code. He became furious and stomped away from our table. His then-GF apologized for his behavior. I apologized to her for mentioning politics, that I never would have done had I known he was a rwnj.

2 Likes

Oh, those BSG recaps on TWP were insane. But I read them nonetheless…for the few gems contained within.

1 Like

We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great. Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.

Just let that really sink in. A service that billions of people use, that the average person has no problem using without getting into trouble… and the fucking president of the united states can’t be trusted with it.

This is basically “We can’t trust you with the Internet Donnie. Maybe in a couple of weeks, but for now you are grounded.” This is the person Republicans are fighting to have lead them.

8 Likes

And monkeys could fly out of my butt. Did you read his latest mea culpa?

3 Likes

The problem isn’t merely with the President - it’s with his millions of Facebook “Friends” who also can’t be trusted.

5 Likes

You say that like Facebook cares about tamping down misinformation, disinformation, antisemitism, and white supremacy. They’ve monetized division and don’t care about the societal results. Banning Trumpy 12 days before he leaves office is nothing more than face-saving.

5 Likes

Cynically, I think it has as much or more to do with Democrats retaking the Senate.

6 Likes

You’re not alone.

8 Likes

Tweets and FB posts may be off Donny Boy’s table at the moment, but he still has launch codes at hand. Yes, it can get worse, and I am pessimistic of a favorable outcome.

I truly fear that he will order Tehran nuked in the next few days, then declare a state of emergency with domestic ‘dissidents’ rounded up ‘for their own protection’. Sure hope I’m wrong!

ETA: Some alternatives may be equally bad, like a military coup or his untimely demise.

Well I’m saying they don’t care about it, because you can find all of the above if you go there now.

1 Like

I’m guessing the Pentagon has a circuit breaker in-between the codes and Trumpy. Yesterday, they got Pence’s authorization to assemble DC’s National guard to protect the Capitol. That’s not standard practice.

2 Likes