Facebook will ask its 2 billion users to rank their trust in news orgs for 'Newsfeed' makeover

Blind spots. There’s a problem deep in the core of their ability to make a profit but if they do things maybe people will also ignore it… hopefully not.

2 Likes

Sounds like an invitation for Russia to jump in and skew the results.

9 Likes

We don’t even need Russia’s help. Something like 40% of the country thinks Fox News and Brietbart are more trustworthy than anyone in the “mainstream media.”

26 Likes

The “slow boat to China” way of getting it done. I like it…

3 Likes

Um, hey I have a fucking solution! Don’t have a fucking news feed on your non-news site!

33 Likes

Well, that’s one way to put the inmates in charge of the asylum walled garden. The wisdom of the crowd doesn’t work so well when at least a third of the crowd are proven fools.

How about first figuring out which of those two-billion users to trust to rank their trust in the news orgs and then weight responses accordingly, FB geniuses?

Also … called it!

9 Likes

I doubt it’s a coincidence that the “most trusted” news sources will also be the news sources that are the most shared/clicked/reacted to/etc., creating a greater amount of personal data by boosting posts that have a higher interaction rate.

Hey, here’s a good (if incomplete) idea for actually combating (at least some) of the bs on Facebook:

1. Links from “satire” sites should be shaded a different color and marked as satire. A lot of hoax sites try to deflect criticism by claiming to be “satire.” While labeling things as fake news may hold no sway with people inclined to believe it, and even backfire, only the most resolute dipshits will have a problem with a site that claims to be satirical being marked as such.

2. I don’t know if there’s an actual term, but there’s what I call “impostor sites.” Basically, sites that pretend to be an extant legitimate news source, often using the logo and layout of that site. Disable sharing for those sites. Or, if that’s somehow too big a step, have a bright red background and a warning dialog that opens on clicking.

3 Likes

Or coloured sccording to degrees of conecctivity or clustering with Breibart

Consolation prize: Breitbart hates it. Super funny read:

They know this is an existential threat to their fringe brand of poison. Which is funny, because the left leaning version (HuffPost) will get by just fine I feel. BBN lives off shitty, misleading, fake news and memes.

6 Likes

they are letting the internet vote and using that as a metric for trustworthiness?
have they learned nothing of the internet in all their years online?
did they not pause and reflect how they got in the original mess?

this is the worst idea possible…

SMDH

(dammit fb…where is the dislike button when we need it!)

8 Likes

The newest version yet of Propaganda!

1 Like

This will further enable tailored lying to specific groups of people.

5 Likes

Came here to post this. Did realise others would also.
Posting anyway.

https://cdn2.kontraband.com/uploads/image/2016/11/06/15/0678f51d-54bc-439e-9fe5-ebbb233e3e83.gif

All in all, apt, FB. Thank you for taking care of this.

3 Likes

Welcome to the brave new world of NaturalNews worldwide.

I was thinking about getting The Morning Star to to the top of the rankings.

Most of America don’t know who they are (or were) and I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the British far-right thought that it had disappeared back when the Soviet Union collapsed.

It is reasonably trustworthy if you take it’s genuinely Marxist bias into account.

6 Likes

Um, surely Facebook’s business model demands that the question is not “which are the most trustworthy news sources” but “which news sources do you find most trustworthy?” So that they can target ads at you with, they mistakenly feel, more precision. So, breitbart, tiki torches and brown trousers (still funny to a Brit.) God knows what they’ll try and sell you if you trust infowars. Tinfoil hats? Pigeon’s teeth? Drool-kerchiefs?

And huffpo the equivalent of breitbart? Really? One question to test your humanity. Does your news source of choice cosy up to Nazis?

4 Likes

I think the equivalent question for the left is “does your news source of choice cozy up to Stalinists and Maoists?” The HuffPo clearly does not, neither does the Guardian or the Daily Mirror. The Morning Star also hasn’t since about 1953.

To be honest, I’m struggling to think of any relatively high profile ones that do.

5 Likes

In order to curb fake news, Facebook will ask its “2 billion users”.

7 Likes

Are there Americans walking the streets with flaming torches, dressed in tribute to red guards? Any hammers and or sickles to be seen?

And I’m a bit rusty on Stalinist ideology. I’m under the impression that Stalin’s genocides were all due to political expediency rather than racial policy. Are there popular books alleging that the victims of the terror were not only not murdered but, in fact, still in charge of all the world and should be murdered more? I forget.

I think you are proving my point.

3 Likes