Metawatch. (Formerly known as Facebookwatch.)

2 Likes
1 Like

Ouch, that’s exactly the sort of case I hate.

Excellent evidence of bigoted statements by a manager, absolutely terrible evidence that the bias had any impact on the decision not to promote.

His performance evaluations were all good, the decision to hire him was taken by the guy who made the disgusting comments, he was even recommended for promotion.

The higher-ups then said, too many people have been recommended, you have to trim your list.

He got culled based on wishy-washy non-grounds. The grounds of course being crappy because his managers thought he should be promoted, they were having to come up with reasons why someone shouldn’t be.

It’s exactly those sorts of situations where bias/discrimination takes effect. In the 50-50 scenario, the white guy with the right background wins more often.

As this case shows, it doesn’t take much. The plaintiff has subsequently got all the expected promotions and raises but due to this one decision, he lags behind his peers and will always do so.

3 Likes

Because Nazis are people consumers too? /Xs

JHC FB is evil.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Correction: Last month, we called Zuckerberg a moron. We apologize. In fact, he and Facebook are a fscking disgrace

When it said 5 per cent of banned slurp app users were kids, it actually meant much, much more than that

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/01/facebook_teentracking_app/

1 Like
4 Likes

qyxpha4lkwvzascommki

3 Likes

Oh well. Problem solved then

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Wait, I thought they already took your privacy very seriously?

As long as Zuck is still there, they are going to focus on removing your privacy, not defending it, and certainly not giving you the tools to do it yourself.

2 Likes
1 Like

The really ironic part is that privacy really was what gave it the leg up over MySpace back in 2006. And of course Facebook was screwing things up, “accidentally” changing your settings to share everything by default, but hey, at least it wasn’t MySpace, especially after Rupert Murdoch bought it.

2 Likes

It’s fuzzy, but I feel like people I knew switched because Facebook had more and richer features?

But then, I am a guy. Only rarely did I get pinged because someone was driving trollies through photos in a geographic area for people of a certain age, gender and body type. Could be that Facebook won because it was harder to creep on women!

2 Likes

The fact that passwords exist in plaintext anywhere on their system shows that it’s not security theater, it’s security comedy festival.

5 Likes

[sounds of continuous, endless screaming echoing through an infinite and shapeless void]

3 Likes

Off topic, but what is the deal with The Hill?

Media bias says they are left-center, but recently a lot of articles have had a “right of Fox News” tone.

1 Like