"Here There Be Nerds:" Fan Debates

Say you’ve got some nugget of fan-type trivia you’d like to discuss, but you don’t want to derail the thread with it. Bring it here, and you can nerd out to your heart’s content! All genres are welcome.

Title credit for “Here there be nerds” to @docosc.

14 Likes

First up, a little matter of the Serenity’s engine design, sparked by this:

2 Likes

I always wondered how Kaylee felt about Captain Reynolds using her engines in that way. I mean that can’t be healthy for a jet intake, and even if it didn’t cause mechanical damage someone’s gotta clean that stuff out sooner or later.

21 Likes

What she doesn’t know won’t hurt her? I assume sci fi engines are rated for some debris…

7 Likes

Yeah, given their habit of hanging around debris fields, you would have to assume that their rated for it. And, possibly, that’s not the worst thing to get “processed” through the engine…

6 Likes

I wouldn’t bet my aircraft on that though.

jet-engine

8 Likes

But it’s lucky!

14 Likes

But it isn’t an aircraft engine, its a fancy space engine. I mean, there is no air in space. It’s some sci-fi thing.

7 Likes

Good point, that jet engine must have sucked the guy into the vacuum intake instead of the air intake.

10 Likes

Since the Serenity flies both in and out of atmo, maybe they’re some sort of hybrid air/space engine?

13 Likes

Seems like they must route the transition through the primary buffer panels, since it always comes up as a problem when they’re re-entering atmo.

image http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a88/WendyPops/gifs/firefly/PBP.gif

(Thanks for the topic split!)

5 Likes

Consider the apparent temps those babies run at. Carbonized and vaporized, no muss no fuss.

11 Likes

Apparently getting that close had probably already killed him with cancer (c.f. Reavers and unshielded engines).

3 Likes

She’d see it in the engine log.
And she’d check the log.

5 Likes

You think Kaylee would run an unshielded reactor?!?

image https://media.tumblr.com/5c35ded764d55241cb89a854669c8afb/tumblr_mseyi1utvx1qa2ewio4_r1_400.gif

8 Likes

Just don’t try that shit with Scotty’s engines or you’ll be sweeping up your own teeth.

11 Likes

so i’m new to DS9 (first watch through) and not clear: is sisko evil now, or have we decided goatees are allowed to be added mid series run? also if sisko became a captain only in S3 what has he been so far? just a guy - in charge of a space station (which can move). and sometimes in charge of a starship (defiant) - which fits in the space station (which moves around too). but not a captain? assistant to the regional captain?!

2 Likes

The bussard collector also handles bastards.

2 Likes

Goatees don’t automatically make a character evil, though you might want to check out the classic episode “In the Pale Moonlight” to see Sisko struggle with some morally gray areas. (It’s one of my favorites from that series.)

I believe Sisko would have started out as a station Commander, but I’m a little rusty on that show. The Defiant didn’t show up until about midway through the series, I think.

5 Likes

Damn, can’t find a gif of the final scene from the movie.

1 Like