Fighting homelessness by giving homeless people houses

Absolutely. I’m outraged. What now have I, a fully paid up member of the middle classes, as an incentive to keep on living in my home? I should throw myself onto the street forthwith and get free stuff.

What do you do about those who choose to be homeless? As in, they like being on the street? They exist.

I don’t object to that idea. But that does mean a lead time during which the homeless continue to sleep rough. Which is not consistent with this story from Utah basically coming out of nowhere.

For the most part, people who “choose” to live on the street aren’t picking that from a list of possibilities that includes “safe government-provided housing” or “inpatient room at a well-funded and compassionate mental hospital.” Their options are far more limited.

Problem is thats utah, cheap housing and cold winters that force homeless to often migrate. Here in the bay area its warm homeless come here from colder climates and never leave making our version of the problem larger, now add to that those 11,000 a year houses actually run at least a million bucks. Program is not feasible. Not to mention such a large percentage of our homeless suffer from crippling mental illness. In California we already have the highest taxes in the nation, the feds refuse to help even though there are a lot of vets on the street, Part of the Democrat Policy of screw the soldiers because we don’t like wars. Any how our state budget is basically split a couple ways half to school half to prisons the bread crumbs left fund everything else. If we have to take care of those people suffering mental issues we either have to fire a teachers and stack kids up in classrooms, or release really dangerous people from prison. There is not good answer.

Want to see what real change looks like? Watch this video Faces of Hope - A Personal Look at Solving Homelessness:

Granted that there are many who are not actively in their addictions or committing crimes, BUT there are MANY who are. Tell me that putting these folks into a free home, with free food, and free everything while hoping that they suddenly and magically stop committing crimes, slamming dope and terrorizing your community will work. Each one of them, along with hundreds more who were homeless, rebuilt their lives through doing it the good ole fashioned American way (you all remember that way?) - Hard work, accountability, caring for each other, looking in the mirror and then serving others. All of them were on welfare and food stamps and are now working and OFF welfare and guess what…they all pay their own rent! How could that possibly happen? Is it magic? No, its called creating an environment of hope, opportunity, compassion and accountability and then empowering people to reach their potential. Somewhere in my memory banks I recall that there used to be a place like that in history. We need to get back there, and quick.

or release really dangerous people from prison.

Third option, release the massive number of people that have been locked under absurd three strikes rules, that have been locked up longer than they should have under stupid minimum sentencing rules, or have been locked up for drug offences without links to violence.

There is a pretty bloody obvious good answer.

Then again, if you think locking up non-violent people at enormous cost to the taxpayer is more important than supporting society’s most vulnerable people (who are frequently the same people), you might disagree with me.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.