Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

5 Likes

More coming

8 Likes

Because we need some good news

6 Likes

Aye carumba.
Choosing green lawns over food crops and food production.

“Mormons believe that if there is a problem, God will provide,” says Rich Ingebretsen, a great-grandson of Brigham Young and founder of the non-profit Glen Canyon Institute. “That is why Governor Cox asked everyone to pray for rain. The attitude has always been that if we pray and pay our tithing to the church, then we don’t need to save the Earth because God will save it for us. I have heard this so many times.”

Last June, Mormon church headquarters issued an “official statement” on water conservation. “The Church is working to reduce water use in all our buildings and facilities, including exterior landscaping,” stated a press release. The release said that in some cases landscaping would be permitted to turn brown or go dormant. It also encouraged others to reduce their water use.

When recently asked for examples of properties where lawns had been allowed to turn brown, the Mormon church communication office declined to comment.

Ingebretsen says he has observed more Latter-day Saints members in recent years who are concerned about climate crisis and have started to cut back on watering their lawns. But he is disappointed at how Mormon church leadership has not taken aggressive steps to set a public example on water conservation.

“It is hard to miss the fact that every LDS church along the Wasatch Front has wall to wall Kentucky bluegrass,” says Zach Frankel. “And they over water it, flooding streets and sidewalks. I have never seen an LDS church in Utah with xeriscape landscaping.”

Meanwhile, water cutbacks to farmers in rural Utah over the last several years have left many struggling to stay afloat financially as their fields lie fallow. Even though agriculture claims 70% of Utah’s water supply, the megadrought has hit farmers much harder than suburban homeowners.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Nice to see this published in a Dallas newspaper:

7 Likes
6 Likes

Good news, but I can’t help but feel it’s the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Still, the right thing, I suppose.

1 Like

This contained a few startling points on how extreme flooding is affecting roads (as well as the crews struggling to clear and repair them) in Death Valley National Park:

Four Foot Cave Waves, False Alarm Volcano, and More | National Park News - YouTube

This is a report on drought and flooding in multiple US national parks this year:

5 Likes
6 Likes
12 Likes

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

5 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

There is one in DC too. Oh wait, it’s Ron.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes
10 Likes

in the aftermath of the Second World War about 230,000 tons of chemical weapons were dumped into the Baltic Sea and the Skagerrak Strait at sites near the current Nord Stream gas pipelines

6 Likes

That’s not terrifying or anything. Fuuuuck…

5 Likes