Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

9 Likes
6 Likes

That idea of paying countries to preserve rain forests is looking pretty attractive.

Also - buying them & preserving them as nonprofits- parks etc.

This would be a great project for billionaires who say they’re interested in saving the planet.

I keed - they’re not going to do that.

7 Likes

#grimhumor

12 Likes
5 Likes

Not quite November weather in Finland

Iltalehti reported that the end of the week is forecast with exceptionally warm temperatures.

While Finland’s November is typically depicted as chilly and grey, IL noted that Foreca projected the weather to turn exceptionally warm and sunny in certain parts of the country.

“According to the current forecast, daytime temperatures will rise to between 9 (48°F) and 13 (55°F) degrees Celsius in the south and west of the country on Friday, with temperatures of up to 14 (57°F) to 15(59°F) degrees Celsius possible in Åland,” said meteorologist Anna Latvala.

On the other hand, the warmth will not be felt throughout the entire country, as parts of Lapland may see up to 15 centimetres (about 6 inches) of snowfall.

With projected weather systems moving through the weekend, Sunday—Father’s Day in Finland—looks to be the least rainy day of the week.

However, the warm weather is not expected to last.

“By Tuesday morning at the latest, it will be mostly freezing in southern Finland too. Compared to the weekend, the early part of the week will be much cooler,” Foreca meteorologist Juha Föhr told IL.

7 Likes

Nope, instead they want to continue to profit by finding investors to fund dubious projects while they engage in performative expressions of concern about the disasters they are continuing to cause:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/vanguard-introduce-environmental-opportunities-fund-142100708.html

companies that both are involved in the process of decarbonization and derive at least half of their revenue from activities deemed by the fund’s advisor to contribute positively to environmental change.

[emphasis mine]

Seems like another version of the carbon offsets shenanigans in John Oliver’s report that @vermes82 posted above.

Beau makes more great points on the subject of corporate concern about the environment and COP27 here:

4 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

Not sure if this belongs here or in a “what’s the next pathogen out to wipe us from existence” thread. :thinking:

Prof Tom Battin, at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne and part of VGP, said people should not be concerned about pathogens emerging from the ice. He also said most of the ice microbes did not seem to persist downstream.

Probably true, I’ve spent a fair bit of time with my face in Swiss glacier melt… and I’m perfectly normal. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

When it only takes one, “most” is not very reassuring. OTOH, the vast, vast majority of microbes could not care less about the hairless apes so recently evolved on the Earth. They have been here long before us, and will likely be here long after.

11 Likes
7 Likes

Would love to make it through an entire week without regretting having watched or read a lot of science fiction. :weary: This news has me thinking about 12 Monkeys and Virus. :scream:

7 Likes

We’re just swimming in a huge viral soup these days.

5 Likes