Florida appeals says you can be compelled to utter your phone's passphrase

Those boots don’t even fit me, anyway!

3 Likes

You realize this is Obama’s Justice Department making this assertion, correct?

Tu quoque demands you consider the faults of each President/administration on their/its own merits or lack thereof.

Although it is unmaintained, no significant flaws were found in an audit.

3 Likes

But the court can issue a subpoena for your boots so that they can make impressions and compare them to the ones in the snow. It is NOT the case, and never has been, that you can’t be compelled by the courts to produce evidence.against you.

1 Like

Oh, you’re THAT guy.

Instead of coming up with a tricky passphrase, I’m taking the 5th because my passphrase itself would incriminate me in a crime. Consider a passphrase like “IPunchedMyFriendJohnOnDecember3rd”. If I told it to the police they could charge me with assault, even though I asked John permission to punch him (lightly) in the arm.

3 Likes

Good to know.

They can get a subpoena for the boots but they can’t make you walk in them. They can get one for your phone but they can’t force you to make a call on it. Tangible and real evidence can be subpoenaed but forcing you to speak something the court does not already know is a different story. As for it not being the case (or never having been the case) that is a matter of the courts overstepping their powers by subverting a constitutional protection and that’s my point. That the courts have decided to expand their powers to include stepping on your inviolate human rights only shows how our two other branches of government have failed to do their duty in securing those rights. Your argument seems to be that the courts have these powers because they courts have decided that they have these powers. That’s not a compelling argument.

2 Likes

Sounds like a Florida Appeal, just like hiding from your ex-dog (present or not) in a tree.
Judges to provide up-robe photos to be compulsorily discovered, chain of evidence to impartial art and data security school, why don’t they? While they’re compelling the market to have dead-man apps beside the AV apps that put all the not-yours things on your old thing.

Oh I wish I’d listened to the livestream of the epiphone Revolver American Barrister Awards and written my Florida-facing representatives.

5 Likes

What, you don’t think that the courts are telegraphing Trumps intentions?

What is possible when I am dead isn’t really a topic I want to broach in the company of authoritarians…

1 Like

i have cake?

Aren’t you dead already?

2 Likes

When do you think many of the sitting judges were selected? Whose Justice Department is it?

Actually:

Not a federal judge, hence not Obama’s.

2 Likes

And that constitutes a nice “bright line rule,” even if it isn’t necessary a perfectly logical one in all cases. After all, they can’t subpoena the body and use that to compel you to tell them where you’ve buried it…

umount the sd card when not using it and hope no one technically literate is involved.

Okay, here’s a better one: program the phone so when you utter a certain passphrase (or scan with the wrong digit) it responds, “Sorry, password not accepted because you appear to be under duress. Try again when you are not under duress.” Now the burden is on the authorities to remove the duress, and you have plausible deniability.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.