Footage from Eddie Murphy's scrapped "Hong Kong Phooey" movie

Sorry, but they are both just awful (although I remember the original with some fondness.) The original was created during the darkest depths of the ‘animation ghetto’ and the title is a play on the Hong Kong Flu, which killed between 1 and 4 million people. What’s to like?

Also lasting half a season, about a year earlier:

Well, that particular adaptation of Charlie Chan lasted only half a season. There have been numerous Charlie Chan books, movies, tv shows, and comics, all with varying degrees of racist stereotyping. Casting Peter Ustinov in yellowface as Chan in 1981 seems to have done the IP in for good.

2 Likes

How do you get flu from Phooey? It is Phooey because it rhymes with Chop Suey.

The show was awful, but is fondly remembered because it hit the zeitgeist of 60s/70s karate and kung fu movies.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Welcome to BB, new comrade.

1 Like

I know I’m not the target demographic for that, but the only funny bit was when the cat rolled their eyes.

Murphy’s filmography is weird; it’s largely been a series of “Eddie Murphy making a big comedic comeback!” films punctuated with painfully bad stuff to remind people of why he needed all those comebacks in the first place.

If The Adventures of Pluto Nash and Norbit were deemed good enough for theatrical release I definitely don’t need to see the ones that didn’t make the cut.

4 Likes

That album is all killer, no filler. “Spiderman” by the Ramones, and that 1st track “The Tra La La Song” are my faves.

As a Canadian kid of the '60s, living in a northern town with a choice of two channels (CBC and French CBC), at least half of those shows were unknown to me.

Checking the Amazons, looks like I was a fool to rip that album and dispose of it… C$48?

There was a “Volume 2” as well, but not nearly as good as the first. I owned it on CD, but for some reason it’s not ripped.

1 Like

There was a volume 2?! I’m not able to find any information on it. What did they cover on it?

What I also failed to pick up was an album covering Schoolhouse Rock songs.

Back to the topic at hand, HKP found a life in the late 80’s, early 90’s on the USA Network along with many other Hannah-Barbera shows. I remember maybe summer mornings catching the show along with Laff-A-Lympics. But now knowing that the show was cut so short, I think I have a better understanding of why so few people ever responded to my mentioning the name of it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.