Footage of New York City in 1911 "DeOldified"

a little then and now:

2 Likes

Now I’d like to hear the Law & Order theme on player piano.

1 Like

Pictures of Lily

2 Likes

there is noise reduction software for audio that does exactly that. if a sound exists for an almost impossibly small length of time (as pops from dust do) it deletes it and fills in the waveform.

• I was kind of shocked/inspired by how few of the people in this were grossly fat

• Lots of suits and ties!

• For those who were not in suits and ties, I wonder what percentage were still in cold water walk-ups? Bad life there.

• I wonder what was the general dental health of all the various people in this? I’m betting: VERY BAD

3 Likes

It’s astonishing to see old-time folks moving “like real people.” It’s as if someone took a VHS camcorder to 1911 and shot a cassette. The colorization is weak. Medium shots especially seem to have colored coronas around objects like lampposts. Besides, as Calvin’s father pointed out, the entire world was in black-and-white back then.

4 Likes

The Good: Processed sugar was harder to obtain back then and processed foods were relatively novel.
The Bad: Novocaine was a relatively new invention. Fluoride toothpaste wasn’t invented until the 50’s

2 Likes

It’s amazing how street-level looks so similar still. The style of fencing around the park, the cages surrounding trees and most of the buildings. I’m also impressed with how clean the streets are. I’m sure the trolleys and cars helped mitigate it by the time of this film, but the stories I’ve read make it sound like it was an Arrakis of horse poop dust.

1 Like

These people didn’t have wifi, didn’t have TV or radio, most of them didn’t have telephones

A lot of things we do at home they had to get their asses out of the house first

2 Likes
1 Like

Personally, I think that it’s better to start with the best available source, instead of trying to recreate details dreamed up by a neural network.

Film negatives should always trump VHS telecines.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.