For 90 years, lightbulbs were designed to burn out, now that's coming to LED bulbs

Don’t you see, the IoT is emitting chemtrails.

2 Likes

for the past 6 years i’ve been gradually replacing all of the open fixtures in my house with bulbs like these from phillips–

some of these lights stay on as much as 10 hours a day. out of the 9 bulbs i’ve installed 8 are still working. the 9th was ruined because i did not realize that putting 2 bulbs nested side by side into an enclosed fixture with a cover was a bad idea and one bulb melted. these were the first two i had bought and used. the other one is still working 6 years down the road.

4 Likes

Digging the CREEs myself. Closest thing to an incandescent I’ve seen so far.

That said, I have a GU10-base CFL no-name bulb that is the best full-spectrum bulb I’ve ever used. Most CFLs have too much short-wavelength light (blue-violet). This one? Completely indistinguishable from sunlight. The lamp is situated in an alcove with a window and has fooled me more than once into thinking it was less cloudy outside than it really was.

5 Likes

Snap-On does a genuine lifetime guarantee on their tools. Break a fifty year old spanner, get it replaced for free.

They stay in business by (a) making exceptionally good tools, (b) providing exceptionally good customer service, and © being very expensive.

9 Likes

There’s some doubt (.00 000 000 001 % chance, as it were) over whether the bulb’s owner is going to be the first to p0wn the IoT or device, yes. But then I haven’t attended enough webinars; is IoT pronounced ‘yacht,’ ‘yote,’ ‘yit,’ or ‘The crying of yadda yadda yadda?’

What the habanero, SteampunkBanana!? What’s the warrant on the halogen dimmer? The HID is competitive in efficiency with LEDs and has crazy warranties on the supply (20 years; we will have inexpensive ubiquitous hellmouth portals to a sun of your choice by then) and yet you’re going to bet soldering is going to be prescription only restricted use etc. by 2046? <–super hoping that matches the how to be nice article’s advice, Punknanner.
How do I reeeach these HIDs? (Link is to rando car accessory place with ‘bespoke’ in SEO. None of these are going to win a…well, plainish fluoro. replacements by Corbi AG somehow got a Red Dot award, so sure they are. Look for pompom light guides on 5W ‘light engine’ lamps next year. GE roped an Architectural Lighting award for just ruddier phosphor, which at least they’re continuously shipping you kilograms of that as engineering samples, right?)

[Buys dusting wand and stick for moving vacuum hose] How can I reeeach these HIDs?

10 Likes

Nearly all of the IoT ramblings I have read here are consumerist nonsense. What’s “coming” is WTF you make. Most IoT projects I have seen by far are custom things made by enthusiasts which do what that person wanted. Making it into an exercise in consumerism and then complaining that “Eww, people are offering crap!” is silly, and a waste of time. If what some companies offer is such crap, then why not also post some articles on the design and building of decent LED bulbs, or other IoT things?

When you decide that the consumer electronics industry matters more, then that is the bed you get to lie in, fleas and all.

1 Like

some halogens seem to have this high pitched whine, right at top end of my hearing. not sure why some and not others. it really bugs me out.

2 Likes

Or you could even end up with Pychon’s Byron the Light Bulb who would never burn out!

I once suffered from the heartbreak of socket saturation. But with surgery and the support of my wife and friends, I recovered and am now living an almost completely normal light bulb.

4 Likes

I’ve got a CREE LED bike headlight that does the same thing…I just chalk it up to cheap Chinese electricity.

1 Like

I discovered that only the headlamp bulbs from a main dealer had a long life in my VW.

Who wants sunlight at night?

1 Like

Before 90 years ago though.
http://www.centennialbulb.org

Thomas Pynchon made reference to the international lightbulb cartel Phoebus in Gravity’s Rainbow in 1973, I read it in '79 - and until this story, assumed it was a joke.

4 Likes

Truly. A year without Santa Claus would simply be different. A year without candles wouldn’t be Christmas.

(And much of Finland - where we get our candle holders from - is still standing - they’re not that dangerous.)

1 Like

Doing just fine?

These companies are tiny slivers of what they were a century ago, they employ a fraction of their original workforce, they haven’t significantly innovated their product in decades, their product is only of interest to a small fraction of the population, and that’s doing just fine?

I’m not putting you in charge of my retirement fund.

:-).

2 Likes

Pedestrians?

Cory,

Not everything is a grand conspiricy. Things breka down, heating things up accelerates this process. Using items, even with nonmoving parts, wears them down.

Nobody ‘designed’ bulbs to burn out, at least incancecents. Your title is clickbait.

That said. I do not see IoT being in any way a good idea as of right now, too many companies with their heads up their asses and all or nothing thousand standards that don’t talk to eachother going on.

Ai. Shows how much I know about these companies, then. Damn. Shame, too, because Estwing makes some damn good stuff.

Lodge, on the other hand, needs to overhaul their casting process. I abandoned my Lodge skillets once I inherited my grandmother’s skillets, which are smooth (as they should be).

1 Like

The cartel was a convenient way to lower costs and worked to standardise the life expectancy of light bulbs at 1000 hours, while at the same time raising prices without fear of competition. Members’ bulbs were regularly tested and fines were levied for bulbs that lasted more than 1000 hours.

13 Likes