Four years of BBS

That’s a shame, it often means you’re one is seeing the bully and the victim as interchangeable. I’ve certainly done that and I try hard to not.

Often, around here, one person is talking in good faith and the other in mercilessly bad faith, seeking a reaction.

If you earnestly believe that pushing back against inappropriate treatment is ‘both of these people behaving badly’, well, I submit that you probably accidentally embolden some asses and roll blythely over some sensitives.

I don’t want everyone to have a home here. I want for this to be a place where a consistent lack of good faith and regular shows of unearnestness should earn some sort of title.

So here is what I suggest. Let us give other users a week time out. A personal ban button, but it only lasts a week. Lets say I pressed the button on @enso (that asshole)(kidding @enso !) For a week, enso and I would not see hear or know of one anothers existance. That’s it. No communication, no PMs, no likes. After a week that filter on my experience (and refusal to share with that user)- expires. A week off between individuals.

But. If there is a user who consistently earns these ‘time outs’ from, say, Regulars, that would be kept track of. If I were to block @enso 52 times in a row, that would be work for me, and no work for anyone else. But it also doesn’t allow me to shut the person out forever. If I and 15 other users had @enso blocked at once - that would both limit the pool of outrage that bad faith user was throwing stones into, and also provide a useful metric of how often how many regular users find a user worthy of a time-out - which in the long run may well provide some useful metrics when it -does- come time for the luck dragon to ride in. It could also yield a ‘title’, If you’ve earned weeklong bans from a ton of people, maybe you get a “provocateur” badge (which expires in time if you chill the heck out), or if a critical mass of Regulars are blocking you maybe you get a week ban? I can’t imagine that would come up but a couple times a year.

Thank you for the consideration. Cool software.

12 Likes