Four years of BBS

Oi you can’t use that octave here!

3 Likes

One feature I’d like to see are expanding on the types of likes you can give – sort of like Facebook has where you can add a certain flair to a like that you give (old school thumbs up, sad, love, etc.).

In other words, instead of just “liking” a post as a simple +1, you could instead mark a post as funny, insightful, interesting, scary, and so on. This wouldn’t change the aggregate count of likes for a post (it’s still effectively an “+1”), but you could certainly do some interesting metrics on this like get a list of the “top insightful posts” or whatever. I’ve seen lots of really great posts and sometimes just clicking on the heart feels hollow and I don’t want to postwhore just to say “that was interesting” or whatever. I seem to recall Slashdot doing something like this back in the day as well.

It seems to me this would only further the gamification of Discourse.

7 Likes

+5 Insightful.

9 Likes

Just let us respond with custom reactions, like Slack does. I’m sure it would never be abused.

11 Likes

Yeah… I would predict 5 minutes before animated floppy dongs become the de facto response.

11 Likes

Eh, too much “makes me think” involved. We have no plans for this for the forseeable future.

3 Likes

What’s up with the arbitrary hovering blue ‘Back’ button, @codinghorror?

1 Like

Hmm, try to make the browser a bit wider if you can to get the vertical scrollbar. Looks like a bug though.

1 Like

It was doing it on full screen too; I just minimized the window for the sake of taking a screen shot.

It’s a wee bit annoying.

2 Likes

Does it still happen if you hard refresh in the browser? ctrl+f5?

In chrome there is a fun little trick I can share. Bring up the f12 dev console, then right click the refresh icon:

Let me check.

Checked.

Still there.

It does go away if I maximize the screen, but I’m at work; I can’t leave it that way.

Hey, I can’t remember if you covered this when you implemented @gwwar’s script but is there a reason that boing post OPs don’t load the show full post content automatically? why do I have to hit the button?

Can you give me a full screenshot of your browser window? What’s weird to me is the browser seems to cut off near the search magnifying glass.

Also, you’re not running anything that would change the CSS like an ad blocker or other extension are you?

I am running ad blockers; AB Plus on work my PC and Ublock at home.

It’s possible it’s blocking something from the CSS it shouldn’t be. If you could disable them on bbs temporarily and refresh the page it would show us that.

1 Like

Not sure, but now the little slider widget thingy that you guys have for skipping to a specific post in a thread is only showing up when I have the window maximized; not cool coding, bro.

1 Like

If you are on a narrow device click or tap the progress bar to expand the
elements in a slide up panel. There is no room on a narrow screen for right
gutter elements so they become click / tap to expand.

1 Like

Dude…

I’m on a desktop PC.

2 Likes

Right but there’s no difference. If the screen is too narrow for the
element to fit, it has to go somewhere else.

1 Like