Four years of BBS

I’m aware. But this, again, runs into the communication problem. Was my post deleted just because it was part of that thread? Or was there something objectionable about my post itself? If there was, was it just the part that was replying to that other thread, or was there something else?

I don’t want to get suspended for reposting something that was deleted, like the following instances (apparently, it’s happened twice to @MarjaE):

https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/the-lounge-of-yesteryear-clock/84592/4816

I thought some of these might be duplicates, but I’ve listed them in chronological order, and it doesn’t make sense, in that order, for any of them to be duplicates.

9 Likes

It is a complex problem … requiring a mod to write a few sentences to each person about precisely why their content had to be removed increases moderator workload exponentially.

6 Likes

Another feature request/bug report, tangential to the previous comment:

In that “Without Notice” topic, there’s mention of:

So, if I reply to and quote a comment, and hotlink an image in my reply, there is no longer a system edit notification. This is good. However, the person I’m replying to will get two notifications: a “reply” notification when the reply is initially posted, and a “quote” notification five minutes later when the hotlinked image is downloaded (or, presumably, any time that the post is edited).

Can you please get rid of that second notification in cases when the edit in question doesn’t modify the quote block? (ETA: Or at least, since the hotlink-download-edit is the most common (and most annoying) example of this happening, exempt those specific edits from having the “quote” notification sent out?)

3 Likes

[quote=“codinghorror, post:170, topic:92006, full:true”]
It is a complex problem … requiring a mod to write a few sentences to each person about precisely why their content had to be removed increases moderator workload exponentially.[/quote]
More likely linearly, but with a high coefficient.

2 Likes

More than having to delete an offensive post a second time?

Actually, yeah, you’re right, probably more.

Perhaps having something like those pages you get when you try to unsubscribe from something. A few checkboxes with the most common reasons.

Like (the bullet points being checkboxes and/or radio buttons):

Delete Parent Post
  • Violated Community Rule (Optional: Rule # )
  • Rules Lawyering (Optional: Details)
  • Being Annoying (Optional: Details)
  • trolley (Optional: Details)
  • Other:
  • No reason given
Delete Child Posts
  • Part of a discussion harmful to the community
  • Reply to a post harmful to the community
  • Other: ___
  • No reason given

Actions:
You may:

• NOT re-post this post
  • Remove the references to the deleted parent post and re-post
  • Re-post without further modifications

Edit: Okay, I have no idea why the first “Hide Details” is failing to hide anything, but the second, more complex one, is working fine.

2 Likes

I’ve always found the six character minimum a petty thing. I know it’s designed to encourage discourse but there are simple ways around it making it reasonably useless as a tool.

12 Likes

15 Likes

This.

<exactly!>

12 Likes

Yeah that’s some kind of bug… I couldn’t figure it out with a few edits either. We’ll look into that.

Regardless, you’re adding serious moderator workload with this proposal, versus the implied “go read the community guidelines”. Not to mention the loss aversion issue it exacerbates, which is severe because human nature. But if you are serious about it, I suggest a new meta topic with specifics.

LOL, the Discourse default is 20. So consider yourself lucky. We want posts where people actually write at least a small sentence, not “NOPE!”

6 Likes

20? Ugh. Brevity, wit, etc.

14 Likes

Sometimes “NOPE!” is an appropriate response.

11 Likes

Especially when the alternate option is a gif. :wink: (Right, @codinghorror?)

19 Likes

Seems like an odd request, but OK.

14 Likes

I was gonna say, a GIF is actually preferable to just the word “NOPE”. Both are pretty useless, but at least one of them is entertaining. And entertainment is definitely one of the goals.

8 Likes

26 Likes

… a variety of animated GIFs. Don’t Repeat Yourself, and all that :wink:

9 Likes

20 Likes

It’s getting a bit chatty in here.

9 Likes

A few of the meatier bits should be pulled out as independent meta topics, like @nimelennar’s proposal, the debate about flag handling, long running/annoying bugs or quirks, etc.

5 Likes

7 Likes