Four years of BBS

I don’t understand what you mean?

How do you propose it would work to prevent people from doing quote replies of another person? In practice.

You know when I read stuff like that I think “both of these people are behaving badly”, not “wow this totally vindicates User X who is clearly a Good Person that was Sadly Wronged”

Maybe @M_M we should prevent PMs altogether for mutes to strengthen the feature a bit before crossing the chasm to “can’t reply to you at all”. It is fascinating that “I don’t want to see their posts” has not come up, this is a different angle I had not considered.

I do think asking someone not to reply to you (or Falcor asking with a bit more weight behind it) is a reasonable request, if it comes to that.

10 Likes

It’s the old ‘no solution is absolutely perfect, so let’s not do anything to even try to fix the problem!’ argument.

7 Likes

I don’t know. I’m not much of a coder, I’m afraid. Wouldn’t know where to start or what language or whatever to use.

Yeah, that would be a good step in the right direction. :smiley:

10 Likes

I’m not sure which “that” you mean? People disliking each other and still replying to one another? :slight_smile:

I agree it would be nice that if I muted a person that they couldn’t then PM me because, pretty clearly, I don’t want to hear from them. :slight_smile:

I’ve more than once considered implementing a Firefox extension to hide certain users’ comments. It wouldn’t be hard to do at all on page load but, again, then you’re just making a nice filter bubble for yourself, so I walk away from the idea.

4 Likes

My point is that since:

1. We can see everyone’s comments.
  2. They are text.
  3. Text is selectable in browsers (and can be copied to the clipboard).

That even if someone made a feature of “don’t allow the ‘quote’ function for this user on me,” said user can still select the text, copy it to the clipboard, open a generic reply in the thread, add the quote tags discourse uses, and put your text in. You can’t stop someone from making a quote reply. You can only make it take more work.

4 Likes

You’ve lost me. :confused:

ETA: Errm, maybe I didn’t explain myself right? Ain’t so good at that sometimes. :blush:

It’s ok. I suspect @codinghorror is well aware of all of this. It just means it is less than trivial to block people replying to others if they can see the person’s comments at all.

Blocking is an interesting concept with many subtle side effects

Strengthening of the existing mute feature (available in your user prefs) seems advisable, pulling PMs off the table for a muted user seems safe to me. The only downside is the muted user will know you have them muted the second they try to send you a PM.

7 Likes

What if you add the ability to turn off PMs from anyone but mods and staff? Then the recipient wouldn’t be obviously muting someone in the case you mentioned.

4 Likes

Feature creep and the idea of a feature nobody asked for, that we created just to cover up social side effects of another feature that was asked for… gives me the willies.

11 Likes

I feel the need to put this out there;

No one here can “get” anyone else banned.

Members can flag bad behavior, and we can make reports to the mods, but that’s it; the rest of the power all rests with the mods. They are the ones who decide what ‘flies’ and what does not.

And as I already stated, there are more than few people here who know how to tiptoe around their douche baggery, without ever quite crossing that line - to the point that they seem like veritable experts at avoiding the ban hammer.

(It also helps if one doesn’t run afoul of the publisher, but hindsight is 20/20.)

22 Likes

No one asked for it today but I’ve seen some people mention how much stress they get from unsolicited PMs and would rather not get them. (I don’t mind most unsolicited PMs myself but I have social anxiety so I understand.)

6 Likes

(Preventing PMs from non-staff)

A number of forums have that option. It ain’t so much about stopping your own participation in threads, it’s more an option to keep everything in public. Ya know, with witnesses and all.

11 Likes

FTFY. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nobody gets to know nothing if we add a combo box to user profile with:

Minimum trust level to allow people to contact me privately: [0,1,2,3,4,only mods]

Then you get better control of who can contact you. You may not want private communication except by very high trust level users or may hate email so much you just want to avoid this.

12 Likes

Maybe I’ve missed it but I’d love for posting a reply to not automatically jump down to the post itself. Often I’m replying to something before reading the entire discussion (I know when no one else is going to make the joke I have to make) and I want to keep reading from the same spot. So at least the option to jump back to the replied to post would be nice.

2 Likes

Yes, this is an option in your user preferences and has been for a while.

8 Likes

Seconded. A true “ignore” feature would be nice. Hell, I’d like the ability to blacklist all posts containing the words "second amendment" AND gun* but I’ll settle for not seeing certain people’s posts.

6 Likes