Fred Franzia, creator of "Two Buck Chuck," RIP

I recall something of the early history of 2 buck chuck. There were stories of couples on missions to identify the ‘best stuff’. One would watch over a few crates in the store while the other — having just purchased one bottle from each crate — would taste-test each bottle while inside their vehicle. The ‘winning’ bottle(s) would identify which whole crates to purchase.

1 Like

That was the oddest thing. Key West seems to be very chill, and then on a Sunday morning during grocery shopping we try to open the refrigerator doors to get some the beer and it was locked. (Publix, I think.) An employee nearby chuckled and told us that we couldn’t buy alcohol until late Sunday afternoon, I think. He knew that we didn’t want to return so he told us to go to a drive through place on Stock Island.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Two Buck Chuck is pretty bad, but TJ’s also sells other inexpensive wine, including some blends under their own label, that is not bad. Négociants in France have a similar business, buying surplus wine, blending it into a big batch, and putting their own label on it (but they are not producers). Those wines typically list the region but have no vintage on the label, nor the words Mise en bouteille au château (“estate bottled”), which indicates they came from a single source. Still, they tend to be decent wines. The larger négociants have a reputation and they don’t want to put out something really bad.

2 Likes

How much Two-Buck Chuck would a woodchuck upchuck if a woodchuck could chug Two-Buck Chuck?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.