Fuck Today (Part 1)

When I transitioned I was warned that the chances were high that someone I knew would kill themselves before they finished treatment, sadly it turned out to be true. Transgender Day of Remembrance won’t list suicides caused by harassment because the list wouldn’t seem to end if they did.

The one way that has been shown to reduce attempted suicide attempts from 40-50% to about 5% is for trans people to be in an accepting and supportive environment. It should be an easy fix, yet there are so many people who insist on their “right” to bully people until they kill themselves, or to torture them into fitting someone elses worldview.

22 Likes

It is an easy fix, you’re right. It’s too bad that this even has to be said.

I’m so sorry. I know it’s tough and there are people out there who are made so uncomfortable by the existence of trans people, that they do and say horrible things. I wish I knew how to fix this, other than doing what little I can to make trans people that I meet know that they are accepted for who they are and speaking out when I see hurtful things. I know it’s not enough and never will be.

I hope you know that many of us here care about and appreciate you.

19 Likes

“Regular”. The now-gone Lounge. The perma-stupid-bans. This godamn new notification system.

Fuck. Fuck. FUCK.

And now, the USAF.
“Paperwork, sir? What paperwork? You re-submitted it three times over the last three years because each time you’ve followed up with a call we didn’t have the papers you submitted? Well let me check your social security number…hmm, no, no paperwork there. Not sure why it’s missi…sir, sir, what is that high pitched whine, sir? Are you okay, sir?”

“Sir, I do apologize for the mixup, but before you go, would you be interested in filling out a survey?”

“I understand your concerns, sir, but keep in mind that every time you submit paperwork to us, we get to know you that much better.”

22 Likes

Substitute “VA” for “USAF” and I am you.

13 Likes

The VA actually helped me out, see, because they got out ahead of all the other personal information hacks (OPM, among others) by letting my health info get hacked like five years ago. AND THEN they lost whatever medical information they had on me in the first place.

So it’s been great. Just 100% the best.

MY GOD THESE FUCKING NOTIFICATIONS JFC X ELEVENTYMILLION

18 Likes
7 Likes

Do they not issue provisional ballots in the UK?

2 Likes

Sadly, no.

I doubt my votes would have made a difference, they are fairly safe Labour seats.

The general election is next month, that’s the important one.

4 Likes

Very late to this conversation… Entschuldigung! (I have been web-connectionless since Nov 2016.)

If you wish to parse antiquated and utterly not PC German, this is an illustrated children’s series (!?!?!?) that I was, uh, exposed to when I was learning deutsch from meine Mutter. It’s got so much wrong about it. Consider it anthropology:

http://germanstories.vcu.edu/mm/mmmenu.html

I used to agree with the old idiom “Deutsche Sprache, Schwere Sprache” (German language is difficult [to learn]) but then I started Standard Chinese language learning (putonghua). Trust me, German is not hard, comparatively.

4 Likes

Everyone who suggests wearing surgical gloves (nitrile, rubber… vinyl would be last option) is correct. I know stone often wants a blood offering, and tactile handling. Still: ouch! All that alkaline stuff–I’d suggest a vinegar wash but it’s a painful way to neutralize the pH.

If you have the opportunity, before going to sleep for the night (or day), try putting lanolin on your clean and dried hands (working it into all the cracks) and then put cotton gloves on over your hands. I usually thin the lanolin with Vitamin E, so it’s not so thick. If you haven’t any cotton gloves, even mittens will work. Something with breathable natural fiber. A few days of this and your skin should improve. I have had good luck repairing my skin this way.

My hands crack and bleed a lot. I work outside (in Texas) and much of it involves thorns, fire ants, scorpions, wasps, cactus, flint rocks with sharp edges, solid chlorine, liquid chlorine, and worse. My right hand has three bandaids on as I type this.

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I have been using various kinds of moisturizers on my hands in the evenings, but was not clever enough to think of cotton gloves.
We do have boxes of different kinds of gloves in every room of the shop, but it is hard to discipline myself to wear them when doing this kind of work.
I also go through lots of bandaids. I do a great deal of hand stitching leather, which can be pretty hard on the fingers. But this work with the concrete board has been doing damage faster than I have been able to recover.
The good news is that I have 90% of the worst of it behind me, as far as alkaline damage goes. I have mostly move on to the nightmare hellscape of grouting, but some nice members here have helped me get ahead of that job as well.
Good luck with working in Texas. My wife’s family is from the west central part of the state. And I attended A&M. But once you get used to normal weather, it is pretty hard to go back to that kind of heat. And the constant threat of being devoured by venomous snakes. And the suicidal deer jumping out in front of you every time you try to drive at night.

The alleged rapist of the 4-year-old has been apprehended, but it appears likely that this is a separate monster, probably not the same person as the serial rapist/kidnapper that’s been working the area.

10 Likes

Not sure if should like, but thanks for the update.

Jesus H.

7 Likes

Just hang him right away.

I’m fuckin’ fed up with all the gleeful Debbie Downer-esque ‘harbingers of doom’ who have something negative to say for every news update and recent events;

Seriously; if the US “is fucked” then so are you, and your gloating/wallowing in the shit won’t make your own inevitable suffering any more bearable.

#SHUT THE FUCK UP, ALREADY.

YOU’RE NOT HELPING, YOU FUCKING ENERGY LEECHES.

/end rant

16 Likes

Looks like Carlisle United will be playing against the mighty Forest Green Rovers next season :frowning:

2 Likes

Good friends of mine just lost their 5 year old daughter in car crash. I am devastated. I can’t even imagine what they’re going through. I have no idea how their 3 year old will understand it.

14 Likes

That’s so terrible. I’m sorry.

When will it be OK that they lost their 5-year-old daughter? A very, very, very long time, if ever. It’s pretty much the worst thing. Good luck to you all.

3 Likes

That’s horrific. My condolences to you and the family.

5 Likes

Giving up broadcast media for a couple days. Or a week. I won’t want to see the weekly round-ups on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

7 Likes