Fuck Today (Part 1)

type type type delete delete delete

suffice to say I have a situation at work that I predicted and no one listened to me and now its my problem and I have no solution

is it wine o’clock yet?

24 Likes

Always.

12 Likes

This is me right now.

15 Likes

it was more like type, delete, undelete, replace

the first deletion left me with a feeling of unresolvable suspension - I had yet to read the last sentence or so.

11 Likes

You didn’t do the “I told you so” dance?

13 Likes

I worked at a place where the mantra was “this is not the time to assign blame*, this is the time to fix the problem” * not my words, a “clever” change in the subject

Which, after the problem was fixed became “now is the time to move on”

#REPEAT

11 Likes

Nazi lawyers. I hate these guys.

8 Likes

Ugh… I NEED A HOOK to start off this dissertation!

6 Likes

I have a few:

8 Likes

NOT PUNK ENOUGH!

Actually I’m thinking about something related to Johnny Lydon’s letter to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame? Though I think I mention that later on in the diss? But could work.

8 Likes

Pity hook always puts on a good show.

4 Likes

Lydon calls the R-n-R HOF a piss stain…

6 Likes

Lydon’s always struck me as a bit of a wanker, but he ain’t wrong there. That whole Hall of Fame rubbish is about as anti-Rock-n-Roll as it gets.

5 Likes

I don’t know… I’ve never felt that way about him, actually. I think if he’s a wanker, he gets it from his life experiences. He’s sort of a working class, weird kid, who stumbled into a music career. I personally find him endearing, but I can see how some would find him off-putting.

Agreed about the R-n-R HOF. Very much about self-congratulatory record industry wanking… But rock in the 1960s became the industry standard of popular music.

The letter he wrote, in case you’ve never seen it:

6 Likes

Umm. Not quite a character judgement, more about some of the stuff he comes out with.

It’s like there’s a role he’s playing, a character he’s slipping in to, sort of thing but the kayfabe line is really blurred in places. Away from that, I’d quite like to go for a beer with him. But listening to him making pronouncements on a grand stage… nah.

So OK, maybe I’m being worked here. And for all their place in music history, they weren’t ever my fave punk band, so maybe some bias too.

5 Likes

Fair enough… I guess I didn’t read it that way?

I think what makes him important was more about what happened at the end of their American tour, when the band fell apart? I think the whole situation really revealed the exploitative nature of the industry for lots of younger punks.

I can see that. But yeah, he’d be fun to hang with.

6 Likes

Probably me, TBH. The Aussie use of wanker seems less, I dunno, damning? harsh? more about pretence than the Brit use. And I’m not always so good at using the right words.

I’m no music historian and it was a long time back for me. But yeah, I can really see that. Not something I’d thought all that much about. Cool.

5 Likes

I’m use to wanker in the British sense, I think. I suppose I didn’t realize the Aussie sense was kind of different? Good to know!

I don’t think it was the only thing, but the show in San Fran was a big deal for West Coast punks and the “ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated” was something they seemed to have talked about in terms of how the industry was sort of ignoring punk out in Cali. I’m sure there are others who disagree with my assessment, but it think it sort of encapsulated a lot of the tensions between punks and the music industry at the time.

4 Likes

I feel for you. Been so often at that point it was… Yeh, what? Tyering?
I wish you good luck and drink that wine when it’s time.

6 Likes

Not really a fuck today, but yesterday I accidentally shoplifted. I did take it back and pay for it later, but I hope I don’t start to make a habit out of it.

17 Likes