Fuck Today (Part 1)

God damn it… I just realized that I sent out my dissertation MISSING AN ENTIRE DAMN CHAPTER!!!

But bright side, I realized my dissertation is actually almost 200 pages now…

21 Likes

#undergradMistake

7 Likes

I am so glad I am not in school. One masters degree (paid for entirely by my employer – yeah I’m old) was enough for me.

9 Likes

11 Likes

Yay for employee paid-for masters!

8 Likes

Am I the only one around here that would rather get a second, third, fourth, etc unrelated undergrad degree instead of figuring out some narrow field in what I have already learned?

13 Likes

That sounds rather like an ‘11 lifetimes’ apporoach to things:
(SMBC webcomic: Occasionally wise - profundity probably accidental :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Still good advice.

3 Likes

Damn straight.

2 Likes

My company used to do that, but didn’t tack on any “you must stay X years after completion”.

We had a lot of management turn over during that time.

6 Likes

The company I was at hired people with a masters degree as one level higher © than those with just a bachelors (B). After I finished my masters (100% employer paid for) I went to my manager and said “ok I have my masters now – promote me to C please”. I was young (25) and naive. I was told it didn’t work like that. I said well then I’m going to look for another job. It was the late 90s. I had no problem finding one and got a 50% raise in the process. Dopes.

ETA. I don’t want to say what company this was,but it was an American company specializing in telegraphs and telephones.

22 Likes

Sounds like, from my very limited expertise, combination of how the 90s job market was and a lot of luck. I’m glad showing backbone didn’t blow up in your face.

3 Likes

It was a good job market for tech. In the 4 years I had been at that first job, starting salaries everywhere in tech had gone through the roof. Tack on 4 years experience and a masters degree I was making far below what the going rate was. I had friends who were bailing in similar fashions and had told me I’d be stupid to stay. This was all 20 years ago. Couldn’t do it now!

8 Likes

Now it’s ‘wait you have a job that pays a liveable wage? Are they making you perform sexual favors? Then shit why’re you complaining stay put.’

10 Likes

Thank you for my first real belly laugh of the day!

16 Likes

I wouldn’t have gone if it wasn’t paid for.

For me, it wasn’t about learning esoteric stuff in a very narrow field. It was about learning how to conduct research, and solve problems nobody else had solved before. Undergrad was about traditional coursework and cramming for tests, but grad was mostly lab work. I’m more a lab person than a classroom person, so it worked out for me.

5 Likes

Literally everything I ever really truly learned and never forgot was working with something directly in a practical environment where I wasnt rushed to complete my lab work. This is the primary motivation for my home lab. Learning about vapor pressure and azeotropes in pchem is fine, but actually trying to distill 99% pure glacial acetic acid from grocery store vinegar taught me a lot more.

The time crunch of a semester makes it impossible to retain as much as I like.

9 Likes

Charging cable broke and I do not posses the soldering skills to fix. I am most annoyed it takes a propritary end.

9 Likes

That sucks. I’m sorry.

It probably doesn’t make any difference, but even those of us with the skills to fix them can’t really do so very much any more. As the connectors have miniaturized, the percentage of “that can be fixed for permanent use” scenarios has gone way down. These days I’m lucky to Frankenstein a connector that will hold long enough for emergency data recovery or for “one last charge to hold me over”. There are some exceptions, but it’s much more frustrating than it was 15 years ago or longer.

What connector is afflicting you?

3 Likes

Don’t have a camera on hand but mine is one of those cheapo chargers that pop apart. There’s red, green, white, and yellow wires. The white and green wires are off the thing.

The worst part is the bottom of the tablet is curved, meaning the charger can’t plug in flush, !meaning there is always a wiggle. Poor designing to me.

2 Likes