Fuck Today (Part 1)

Dryer sheets also make towels much less absorbent.

The one caveat with vinegar: it’s great for setting color/dye, so if you’re worried something might stain, don’t use it in the rinse cycle until you’re sure the stain is out. Otherwise it’s there forever.

14 Likes

HP may DIAF. I’m having the expensive razor blades, cheap handle problem with an ink cartridge on a Designjet 500. It’s a monster wide format, so absolutely not worth junking/replacing. Printer was working fine, so was the Raspberry Pi print server we use with it. Cyan has been low for a while, but I mostly print b/w and line, not images, so it’s NBD. But something is wrong. Nothing is going past the server. And it’s bitching and moaning about the cyan cart.

So to figure out what’s not working means getting another laptop up and running with all of HP’s bloat, then printing one damn thing, then figuring out what line of firmware HP fucked in their most recent “support” update, then figuring out what line of code is fucked in the Pi. The stupid monster is happier with an official cart with 5ml of ink than a full one from somewhere else.

5 Likes

Someone left some dryer sheets in the storage cabinets of one of our cabins last summer. All of the food took on the taste of the dryer sheet smell. blech.

5 Likes

I had no idea, but it makes sense.

Asking for a friend, I shouldn’t use pickle juice, right?

8 Likes

My sympathies on the DJ500. The one I worked on years ago was always problematic.

1 Like

You try it and report back to us.

10 Likes

My new fragrance is named in honor of the Beastie Boys, “License to Dill”.

12 Likes

Yeah, and I knew that going in. It’s not new, and hasn’t been new in a long time, but it was built for an enterprise environment, so it’s mechanically more reliable than consumer HP printers, and for wide format, my choices are HP or Epson. It was fine for about 6 months before shitting the bed (and I think it might have been a MacOS update that triggered the shitting of the bed, because we have a complicated, poly-operating system home network). It just happened at the worst possible time.

I need to find an old laptop that I can keep air-gapped from the network. I’ve got three machines right now that are happiest with obsolescent tech (a very low mileage embroidery machine that can’t recognize a memory card bigger than 1gb and gets paranoid when confronted with USB3, a knitting machine that wants input from a Tandy floppy drive, and this printer) so it’s in my best interest to make a stable build that works with all three, kill that machine’s wifi so it never updates and never gets near any source of infection, and relearn the beauty of sneaker-net. I’m kicking myself for sending the last iBook and netbook to the crusher when we moved two years ago.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this goes in this thread or Victory, but here it is.

• I learned the other week I am on a national security list
  • Someone opened accounts under my identity, which have significant balances (capital one and I worked this out a few hours ago)
  • And after getting off the phone with the IRS a few minutes ago, I have been under audit for half a decade. Very nice agent I spoke with.

The attitude of “come at me bro” seems to work well. However:

• I know who I am being watched by. That is Intel gold.
  • I know who opened the fraudulent accounts. That is Intel gold.
  • I know what the IRS knows about me. Oh, I will pay them every cent. But don’t believe it isn’t valuable.
24 Likes

Goddamn antivaxxers.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/health/news/2017/March/21-measles.aspx

Oh look, patrons of Whole Foods, what a surprise.

7 Likes

Whole Foods had a good cheese sélection.

4 Likes

“Whole Foods” = “Whole Paycheck”

Gimme Trader Joe’s ANY day !

3 Likes

Ow.

I have a piece of very interesting, cnc milled right before my very eyes, porcelain in my mouth now. The process was engrossing given that I have just enough knowledge, interest, and ability with 3D modeling and printing to understand what was being done. The crown fits great, feels natural, and replaces a badly cracked tooth without getting to the root canal plus temp crown plus real one stage.

But ohmygod my mouth hurts, and it took 3.5 times the normal to numb me up enough to do this (7 shots instead of 2). Which is now wearing off, about 3 hours faster than expected given the giant doses.

Glad I own a blender.

20 Likes

Isn’t that awesome? Mrs Ficus had to have a crown replaced not too long so and it got milled right on the spot. That’s pretty damn cool.

8 Likes

This week will not end.

5 Likes

A bit delayed, but I lost one of my gloves on Sunday.

6 Likes

I was too stressed to post this yesterday. I was overwhelmed with all the different people asking me to do “just this one quick thing, but I need it right away”. A person who sends a lot of work my way noticed that I was stressed out, and he wanted to make me smile.

So, he sent me two racist jokes. {headdesk}

23 Likes

Aaargh. :confused:

3 Likes

One of the funniest, most cringe worthy, and saddest part of Bojack Horseman is at an end of an episode when a random character asks Diane to, “smile”.

I just don’t even know how to describe it. The best I can do, and this is third person, is Don’t Tell me how to feel; don’t try to cheer me up; and for the love of God have a touch of empathy.

That’s why I stick with fish puns and wordplay. I’d rather invite someone to groan then tell them how to feel.

Carp, I just told one of my secrets.

12 Likes

3 Likes