Fuck Today (Part 1)

eesh, don’t post 73 year old musical heroes in the fuck today category. For a second I thought he had gone the way of George Duke, and I was about to be sad and upset

2 Likes

I knew a lady who said she’d been on the verge of suicide, so she just stepped out the door and kept going - figured she’d see how far she could get on the kindness of strangers and sheer unwillingness to stop. She slept in a lot of scary places and was homeless for a long time, but in the end it worked out for her. Not something to attempt on a whim in a cold climate, but desperate people do cast caution to the wind, every day… and most of them live, and some of them prosper.

3 Likes

shallpass

9 Likes

I’m at the dentist, with my 14 year old son, who is having a root canal.

Two teeth got badly broken playing at a birthday party. And I’m happy for modern dentistry - a hundred years ago he probably would have just lost the teeth. But God this is stressful, just sitting here, hoping it goes well, trying to figure out if his second tooth which didn’t quite break to the pulp is going to need a root canal also. Wondering how much lifetime hassle he’s going to have with his teeth as a consequence

8 Likes

Wow, early lesson in work hard, play hard?

Kids do manage to damage themselves in the most surprising ways.

1 Like

My 3-year-old threw up three times last night. This weird, gross brown stuff like I’ve never seen. I had to put her in a bath in the middle of the night over her screaming objections. We’ve got a mountain of laundry to do. I can still smell it.

6 Likes

Half of the LEDs on my SAD light have failed. It might explain why I have been rapidly getting more depressed over the last week.

4 Likes

There’s plenty of other reasons I can think of. :thinking:

But yeah, that sucks.

3 Likes

Got the hospital bill for my recent pressure cooker accident.

Even without the additional bills from the anesthesiologist, visiting nurses, and the original ER that turfed me to the other hospital, it comes to more than a decent house in my area. All together it’s pushing $200K.

I’ve applied for various assistance, but I’m really wishing I lived in a civilized country.

14 Likes

“Ugh” to the added stress of money. I commend you for keeping a cool head (or so it seems from your post). Hopefully there’s plenty of assistance for you.

How is your recovery going?

5 Likes

I’m about 85%. The skin grafts and donor sites have all superficially healed, and the color is starting to go back to normal, rather than the scary red and purple. I’m up and about and just started back part time at work. The main lingering issues are that I still get tired really easily, and the new skin is really sensitive- like, “clothing hurts a bit” sensitive. But, I’m doing a hell of a lot better than I was even a week ago, so still making improvements.

Thanks for asking.

12 Likes

Good to hear.

2 Likes

Fishing for rough fish can be a ton of fun, though. I also have found eating rough fish to not be that different from eating more sporting fare. Bullhead and white catfish make wonderful table fare, large chubs can be smoked. to say nothing of American eels (if you’ve got spawning adults)

1 Like

A minor fuck today, but still a disappointing one

There were no successors to Ronnie Radford and Ricky George to save Hereford, and that’s it. For the first time since 1925-6, when the number of rounds was last changed, there will be no non-league teams in the FA Cup third round. :frowning:

3 Likes

Americans are such fish snobs. The “junk” or “interference” fish here in the NE: sea robins, dogfish and porgies, are all excellent eating, and prized in Europe. People will throw back Sea Robins all day trying to catch a legal size summer flounder.

2 Likes

I…don’t even know what to say to this.

I’m so sorry.

I’m also really fucking pissed off but mainly feeling sorry at the moment. You deserve better than this sociopathic, chaotic system that we have.

11 Likes

It so sucks that I’m reading your post and all I can think to advise is “start the bankruptcy procedures ASAP.”

7 Likes

Fuck this whole damn week and the bureaucratic horse it rode in on.

I got over a month of pneumonia, only to find I am now the co-owner of a bouncing baby boy. OK, he’s not bouncing, and he’s not a baby, but his mother (my step-daughter) called last week and said take him or he goes to juvenile detention, so we do have a boy, albeit a teen boy.

So this week we’ve been driving all over the city, getting verifications and forms and intake packets and forms requiring notarized signatures and more forms they did’t mention yesterday and even more forms, and as of today all we have to do is wait for a court date for the custody hearing. Happy freakin holidays.

16 Likes

Wow, that’s encouraging! I’ve thought about you many times since you first posted about it; always wishing you well. Thanks for the update. Here’s wishing the best for the remaining 15% for you.

6 Likes

You win the the halo, perhaps a lot of them. My wife the social worker would be bringing kids home all the time if I let her, but even she says she’d not do it for teens. Good luck, I hope he appreciates it.

10 Likes