Fuck Today (Part 1)

JFC… that’s horrible. Maybe you can call one of the hotlines (sounds like the one for LGBQT+ folks might be your best bet) and let the people there know the situation and maybe get some contact information to them to try and reach out and help? I don’t know how much information you have for this individual, but that might help. If you know the location of the person, you might be able to reach out to local services to help them, too. It sounds like a rather abusive situation they’re in.

And @Faffenreffer is right. Make sure you take care of yourself here, as well.

18 Likes

He is in US, and I’m in Poland so I know him only online

10 Likes

That’s the best I can think of… trying to get in touch with some helpline here in the states and giving them his contact info, so they can figure out a way to reach out. I’m fairly certain that LGBQT+ helplines deal with these kinds of situations a fair amount, so might have some strategies to helping.

But most certainly, keep letting him know that YOU care and want to help. That does more than you think. Thank you for trying to help. Many people would not.

13 Likes

Thank you!

What is your opinion of the Trevor Project? Are they worth recommending?

The problem is that his parents are trying to cut him off from all external contacts and they get abusive and double down everytime they discover he has been in contact with anyone. It breaks my hard to see the kid get hounded to death like that.

10 Likes

I don’t have direct knowledge of them and how effective they are, but it might be worth reaching out to them or perhaps a couple of different orgs?

I’m guessing gay rights orgs that deal with mental health likely have strategies for this kind of scenario. It might just help him to know that there are organizations that are trying to help in the short term.

13 Likes

Do you know which state he lives in?

7 Likes

He’s from Ohio

8 Likes

Maybe look up specific organizations from Ohio and pass along the young man’s information to them, maybe.

6 Likes

I’ll try to do a research to find out which ones are worth recommending

2 Likes

This might help:

If you can find one, send them an email and let them know what’s happening, then let them figure out a strategy.

6 Likes

With generic lifelines I’m worried that someone homophobic will answer

3 Likes

I would hope they would not, but a specific line for LGBQT+ line might help:

As far as I know, national lines can get local help?

This is from the Ohio Department of Mental Health:

Trevor is on their list, so that’s probably a good indicator that they’re helpful.

8 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Good luck! I hope this all works out for the kid. I’m sure you’re help means a great deal to them.

6 Likes

The problem is that his parents have cut him off from nearly all means of communication. One time they noticed he has been using Dicsord on his tablet and smashed it on the ground.

3 Likes

I understand that. Reaching out to an organization near him might allow for a county wellness check. These organizations might have strategies for such situations, where it’s hard for the person to reach out for help because of this kind of abuse. But if it’s driving the kid to suicidal thoughts, that should be more than enough to get intervention here.

8 Likes

Unfortunately, the rights of minors vary dramatically from state to state. In some conservative states, there may be literally no legal options. Without knowing the locale, best advice is to try to find out what is available locally and contact them. Wish I had better, but this is a very tough area.

Edit: Ohio. Ouch. No direct knowledge, but very Republican politically would cause me to think this might be one of those. The fact that they still allow involuntary conversion “therapy” says it may be problematic. Definitely need someone local who can navigate the ins and outs.

10 Likes

“ Seven Ohio cities have banned conversion therapy on minors:[47]Cincinnati (2015),[48]Toledo (2017),[49]Columbus (2017),[50][51]Dayton (2017), Athens(2017),[52][53] Lakewood(2018), and Kent (2019).”

Maybe he’s lucky enough to be in one of these cities. If that’s the case- maybe Equality Ohio can help.

18 Likes

If he is allowed to go to a library, he can access the computers there. Heck, he can talk to a librarian who will know the best things to do in the situation and will help him.

12 Likes

This is really useful information.
Thank you! :heart:

9 Likes